C9 | Meeting the Alpha

The multitude of heavy feet hitting the dirt surrounded her, along with the panting of lycans

The moon shone through the tall, vast trees to cast soft white rays. Once through the thicket of woods, she glimpsed the scene from when they first entered.

Before them was a magnificent sight that took her breath away, even in the darkness of night. A stretch of land led to a lake and she eyed an adjacent cliff face that had little speckles of glowing orange light trailing up the mountain.

Roman pointed straight ahead. "Ah, yeah, the Edge. What a sight, right? Let's see...the flickering orange in the distance, that's where the Alpha lives. And where many others do as well. Our Clans live throughout the entirety of Reiger, which we already passed through a small section of. But their Clan heads can stay in the cliff face as guests if they need. You humans like to call this a capitol, and sort of like an embassy. We just call it Reiger's Edge, or The Edge."

"An edge?"

"Due to the edge of the cliff face."

So, they actually lived inside the mountain. She found that exhilarating and overwhelming. The woods she was used to, but it was the cliffs, the large lake, and the fact they lived in the rock that astonished her.

Quietly, she asked, "Is that where I will live? In a cave?"

"In the end, yes." He snorted when he looked at her. "Don't worry, it's not like a wolf's den. It's meticulously carved with many openings for windows."

"Will it be cold?" She shivered from the cool air and couldn't imagine the winter that high up in the cold rock.

"Yeah, but we often sleep close to one another, or underneath a lot of furs."

She didn't want to imagine sleeping that close to an Alpha she hadn't met. "Well, will I stay there for now? That looks like a lot of stairs." She Ben would be near, unless they took him into the mountain as well.

"Don't know. There's nearly a thousand stairs, so it's not like once you go up, you'll casually come back down. We can run it pretty quick on all fours. It depends on what our Seers want, honestly."

"Seers?" She bounced lightly in her saddle as they trotted.

"They're like your witch, but lycans. They see into their own smoke and are in tune with the world like others are not. They also claim to be close to the gods. It's because of the Seers that none of the other Omnis have been turned."

Cora nearly stopped the horse and sharply glared at him. "They haven't?"

He nodded. "Been waiting on you."

"Truly?"

"The Seers demand it."

She let out an incredulous chuckle, staring with wide eyes at the lake ahead. The others are still human. Like me. She shook her arms as if to rattle the nerves and energy out of her.