"Are you sober?"

You stare at yourself in the bathroom mirror, taking deep breaths to calm your nerves. What the hell just happened?!

Your mind flicks from Thor's face to Bucky's repeatedly, struggling to determine which of them bothers you more. You open the tap, allowing the cold water to run down your hands, soothing the burning feeling.

Natasha walks into the bathroom with her drink in hand. She leans against the sink with an amused smile.

"You okay, player?" She teases.
"Not funny, Nat." Your face frowns at her making her chuckle.

"Agee to disagree." She rubs your shoulder gently. "I think you need to do some damage control out there."

You turn off the water with a big sigh, looking for the paper towels to dry off your hands.

"I don't even know what happened." You shake your head. "Thor is like my best friend right now, I never expected him to kiss me."

Nat nods, her soft hair falling to her face. "You need to talk to him, explain you don't feel the same way."

Your stomach turns at the thought of hurting Thor, the literal embodiment of sunshine. But you really don't have any romantic feelings towards him and he needs to know that.

"Your boyfriend might be a little harder to deal with, though." Natasha smirks and you squint your eyes at her.
"Bucky's not my boyfriend."
She cocks her head smugly. "I never said it was Bucky."

Your eyes bug out. She got you there.

"Come out when you're ready, babe. I'm sure you'll fix it." The spy presses a smooch on your cheek before leaving you.

She was right. This could all be fixed with a conversation. Well, two. Besides, you and Bucky simply had an agreement and you both knew it wasn't exclusive at all, so he probably wasn't even that bothered. It's all in your head, it's not as bad as it seems.

You step back into the party, there's only a few people now, enjoying the quiet dying down of the festivities. Your eyes immediately catch Bucky and Sam sitting at the bar in what looks like a heated but discreet discussion.

You take a few steps in their direction, stopping yourself when you can just listen to their voices.

"So what? You wanna go beat up a god?" Sam questions Bucky with lowered eyebrows.

His words are too quiet for you to make out, but you realise you were wrong before: that is what a a man thinking about killing a god looks like. Not just thinking about it, planning meticulously. For the first time you understand why people find Bucky so terrifying.

You focus so hard on the two men, the air around them starts twinkling slightly, as you unconsciously pull the sound waves towards you.

"Trust me, Sam, I'm deadly sober. If I wasn't I wouldn't be sitting here right now." Bucky speaks through his teeth.
"Look, I'm sorry. This's my fault, Thor just didn't know." Sam holds his friend's shoulder, leaning into him. "You should really talk to Y/N and tell her how you feel."

"I feel nothing." Bucky's words cut through you like a knife, a sick empty feeling settling in your chest. He really didn't care.
"Bucky, you have to-"

"Y/N." Thor walks up behind you, breaking you from your trance. "Please, may we talk?" His face is so serious it traps the air in your lungs.

You assent, letting him lead you outside to the balcony.
The cold night air feels nice on your skin, cooling and refreshing. You cross your arms on yourself, as Thor paces in front of you anxiously.