Chapter 15 - Why bother rekindling ashes?

"I can't tell you that now."

"Why not?"

"It's not the right time yet."

"Not the right time? Hell no, I think this is the right time to tell me you have a fiancée back home at the same time you married me!"

Sean looked surprised that she would know it, and damn it if that did not make her even angrier. "How did you know that? Did Jean find you and say unnecessary things to you?"

"Jean? I didn't even know her name at that time! It was your father that decided to pay me a visit and angrily told me you have a fiancée back home, waiting for you to marry her! He made me sound like some cheap, clingy mistress of yours!"

"My father?" Sean spat out angrily.

Ashley stared at Sean in disbelief. "You are that angry that your father told me the truth? How long will you keep it from me? Your father might not be the likeable person, but I am grateful to him for correcting the lies that you've told me!"

Sean took a deep breath. "Ashley, I did not lie to you."

"Sure you didn't," Ashley sneered. "You just didn't tell me everything. That, in my dictionary, is equivalent to lies!"

"Damn it, Ashley! Yes, I did not tell you everything, but I plan to do so in the future!"

"Oh, when will you tell me? When I was lying on my deathbed?!"

"Just listen to me!"

"I don't want to! Just get out!" Ashley yelled and pointed at her door.

Sean took a deep breath and released it to calm himself down. "I will come back later when you are willing to listen to me. Arguing is one of many ways to clear things up, but to us, it's not a good method to solve our problem."

"Save your breath and time, Donovan." She crossed her arms defensively. "Our relationship had long ended. Why bother rekindling ashes? It's pointless."

"It isn't to me. I won't give up easily, Ashley."

"Why, Sean?" Ashley asked softly. "Why don't you just leave me alone?"

"Because I love you. I will always do until I have my last breath."

Ashley unconsciously held her breath as soon as she heard that. "What... What bullshit is that? Do you think this is the chapel where our relatives are watching us making our vows?"

"It's not bullshit. I mean every word I've said."

"That one-time promise, many people have broken it, including you." Ashley pointed her finger at him accusingly, her eyes sparkled from her tears.

"That man that broke it is my younger, foolish self. Give a chance to the current me that finally realizes how foolish I've been."

"I'm a fool if I give you another chance!"

Her broken expression had Sean leaned close to her before giving her a brief kiss on her lips. She was quite disturbed by his words that she took a long time before remembering to push him away.

"I will wait." Surprisingly, he did not persist and walked out of her apartment without looking back.

Until she heard the click of the door closed did she allowed herself to fall to the ground. A soft sob escaped her lips as her mind was assaulted with memories of the moment where they exchanged their vows before their guests. When she gazed right into his eyes, she could see he truly loved her when his eyes only reflected her image.