Chapter 21 - Love was not enough in a relationship

"Ashley? Talk to me darling," Sean pleaded when she remained silent after he dropped the bomb.

"I already know that," Ashley's voice was hoarse from the pain coming from the wound of her heart that reopens once again.

"You know? But how?"

She laughed sadly with a tinge of hysteria. "I always thought my husband was honest with me no matter how indifferent he's towards me, but then one day, my father-in-law appeared and threw the truth in my face."

"My father? He did?" Sean looked shocked then became angry. "He has no right to do it!"

"He does! Do you know? To him, I'm just your mistress that should be gotten rid of."

"You are not my mistress! You are my legally married wife!"

"Hah." Ashley shook her head and smiled bitterly. "Sean, when you are so cold towards me after our honeymoon, I don't think I'm your wife anymore."

Sean crossed the table and pulled her into his arms, hugging her fiercely. She smiled a little as she remembered how much she loved his hugs that always make her feel safe. Even now it does not change much when she nestles her cheek onto his wide chest.

Was it because he had already hurt her, so she was finally no longer afraid? Or had the beer gone up to her head and had her drop her guard?

No matter the reason, she enjoyed this rare moment of safety.

"I'm so sorry, Ashley. When I found out that I have a son, I didn't know how to face you. I know I had to tell you, but I'm so afraid that you will leave me after I told you. I longed to touch you, but I would always feel guilty about it."

Ashley pulled away and stared at him. "Why would you feel guilty when that happens before our marriage? Isn't it before we even started dating?"

"It happened before we started dating. I don't know that I have a son, and I only know about him after we return from our honeymoon."

Ashley should be angry about it, but instead of anger, she feels tired instead. She has been angry with him for four years and she does not want to be angry anymore. Dad was right; anger was never good for her health.

All that anger, all that self-questioning, they result in nothing but depression. It brings down her self-confidence and mood until there were times she just does not know who she was anymore.

"You are not angry?" Sean asked in surprise at her dejected expression.

"No. I don't want to feel angry anymore, Sean. I'm so tired and sick of it."

"No, no. Don't tell me it's the end of us." Sean pleaded as he crushed her into his arms again as if doing so will tie her to him. He actually prefers her getting angry than looking self-defeated.

"It's already the end of us when I accepted your father's terms," Ashley said coldly.

"Terms? What terms?" Sean asked with a guarded expression.

"I accepted his money to divorce you," Ashley said, keeping her expression and voice blank. He released his arms around her and stepped back, his face showed his disbelief. "Two million dollars," she informed helpfully.

Sean turned away from her, and judged from the stiffness of his shoulder, he found it hard to accept it. Will he start to hate her for loving money more than him?

Heck, who won't?

At this moment, she realizes it does not matter whether Sean will tell her his secret or not. Their relationship had ended with lies and pain, so how could they fix it when the lies had already damaged them? The truth might not save them, so why would she still insist on knowing? Just like how she may insist she accepted the money because she was going to divorce anyway, but it was a fact she had to cheapen their marriage and put a value on it.