Facts on Animals

Did you know?

1) Giraffes have no vocal chords.

2) Frogs cannot vomit. If one absolutely has to, then it will vomit its entire stomach.

3) Even after having its head cut off, a cockroach can still live for weeks.

4) Hummingbirds are the only known birds that can also fly backwards.

5) Koalas can sleep for up to 22 hours a day.

6) Around 50 percent of orangutans have fractured bones, due to falling out of trees on a regular basis.

7) The Giant Pacific Octopus has 3 hearts, 9 brains and blue blood.

8) A cow gives nearly 200,000 glasses of milk in a lifetime.

9) Sheep can recognise faces.

10) An ostrich legs are so powerful that their kicks can kill a lion.

11) Sloths really are slow. So slow, in fact, that in the humidity of their native climate an algae actually grows on their fur. This gives them a greenish hue, which acts as camouflage.

12) The box jellyfish is considered the most venomous marine species in the world.

13) The male seahorse goes through pregnancy and gives birth to babies. They are the only animal on earth where the male carries the baby rather than the female.

14) Sharks do not actually hunt humans or consider humans food. Sharks incidents occur when sharks are hunting for seals, dolphins or other "human-sized" prey. It's a case of mistaken identity! 

15) Vampire bats share blood with their friends.

16)  A blue whale weighs as much as three elephants and is as long as three Greyhound buses.

17) Only 5% of cheetah cubs survive to adulthood.

18) Chimpanzees are very intelligence and make all kinds of tools.

19) Pufferfish can contain a tetrodoxin, a toxin that is up to 1,200 times more deadly than cyanide to humans. There is enough toxin in one pufferfish to kill 30 adult humans, and there is no known antidote.

20) The fingerprints of a koala are so indistinguishable from humans that they have on occasion been confused at a crime scene.

21) Elephants are the only animal that can't jump.

Must be nice to be a koala.
Vote, Comment and share.