Cultural Oddities Around the world

What's important is to appreciate our differences, understand where they come from, and have the patience and respect for the culture and traditions of other countries, even if you don't necessarily understand or agree with them.

In Japan, Tokyo
~~ When meeting people in Japan, tell them your age.
It's not considered rude there as they ask for your age when meeting people for the first time. it's important for people to know your age range so as not to offend you by showing you less respect than you are due.

~~ Few trash can in public and trash and disposal separation.

~~ The Japanese relationship to trash actually helps the country stay one of the cleanest in the world.

In India,
~~ Queuing isn't a thing in India, Because India is based on a hierarchical culture, people do not generally queue, as it's understood you deserve to be served based on your status, not how long you've been there. Women and rich people have every right to elbow through the crowd to the front and it wouldn't be considered rude.

~~ Spirituality
Indian culture is steeped in religion and Indians are used to being introspective. Openly bringing one's beliefs and spiritual values into a business context is not uncommon.

~~ Respect for elders
If one question and contradict their superiors openly, this would be seen as being disrespectful and rude. In India, the head of the family, or company makes decisions. Older people are respected, and addressed in a formal manner if they are not family members. Indians are brought up to be dependent on the family, or group, for direction.

In USA,
~~ People will talk to you in Southern USA,
Striking up a conversation with strangers and throwing anyone you pass a smile is very common behaviour for people from the 'Deep South'. So, don't be surprised when
someone ask how your day is going and want to hear about it while waiting in line for Starbucks.

~~ Religion
The U.S. Constitution guarantees religious freedom for all faiths. Even though the calendar is based on, and works with, Christian holidays, you are able to follow any religion you want without repercussions.

~~ Elders
Elders do not have the same level of respect as they do in many other countries. People tend to give more respect to university professors, business leaders, and rich people.

In Nigeria, Abuja

~~ Greetings
The various ethnic groups in Nigeria have their various patterns of greeting.
The Yoruba man prostrates before the elders while the female ones kneel down; in Yòrùbà Land, greeting is more than just welcoming someone, in other words it's a regular way to express warm affection and respect to one another.
The Hausa male squats while the female kneel down.
There are many weird greeting trends are growing in Igboland; If you're a visitor In Onitsha for instance, be prepared while greeting some elders humbly employing "Sir" or "ma". You will likely going to be insulted or rebuked with words like "am I older than your mother? Silly guy".

~~ The Use of Right Hand Only
Nigerians see it as a sign of disrespect and disgusting to greet, eat, hand over, or collect things from people with your left hand unless you're left-handed or have no right arm. And even then, it might be difficult to be granted exemption from the rule. It's worse when the person you extend your left hand out to is older than you are.

~~ Widowhood.
This is common amongst the Igbos. A widow is subjected to humiliation to prove she has no hand in her husband's death. All kinds of punishments are inflicted on her such as making her drink the water used in washing her husband's corpse, shaving off her hair and the likes. Although, the shaving of hair has been eradicated in some communities. Some widows out of their free choice do it as a mark of respect, not strictly as part of obnoxious tradition.

The wearing of mourning dress is a must and she must not stay outside the family home by sunset.

~~ Religion
Apart from the two major religions: Christianity and Islam, there are various traditional religious beliefs in Nigeria, which includes;
✓ The Yoruba believe that Osun, the river goddess, has the power to grant wishes.
✓ Ògun is the god of iron, metal, and metal work. In his various manifestations, he is also a warrior and is associated with war, truth, and justice.
✓ Orunmila is another influential Orisha. He is the "god of wisdom, knowledge and divination.

In South Korea
~~ Koreans are one year older than the rest of the world.
This is because the Korean age takes into account the time spent in the womb. Every Korean turns one year older on the 1st of January each year.

~~ The Military service.
In Korea it's mandatory for men between the ages of 18-35 to enlist in 21 months of military service.Unlike most countries, enlisting in the military is voluntary.

~~ Short skirts are ok, but showing your collarbone isn't for the ladies.
This is a big no-no in Korea as it's seen to be promiscuous and will attract attention from everyone you come across. You may get away with it in Seoul or Busan, but in the smaller cities, it's taboo.

In Ethiopia, Addis Ababa

~~ If someone reaches for your mouth with some food, be sure to eat it, otherwise you may be seen as rude.
This is because one way of showing affection in Ethiopia is to feed the people you are eating with.

~~ Communication style
As a general rule, they are humble and respect that quality in others. They generally speak in soft tones. Loud voices are seen as too aggressive. Ethiopians pride themselves on their eloquent speaking style and expect others to speak clearly and use metaphor, allusion, and witty innuendos. They often use exaggerated phrases to emphasize a point.

~~ Gifts are not opened when received.
Gifts are given with two hands or the right hand only; never the left hand.

Spain

~~ Nudity isn't taboo in Spain and France; Standard rules apply of course, no staring or being creepy.

In France,
~~ Formalities and Etiquette
The French are much more formal in day-to-day activities. This is seen in everything from the way greetings occur, to proper etiquette in a restaurant or store. It is also seen in the language. For example, it's never appropriate to use tu with someone you meet until you are invited to do so, or unless they are much younger than you.

~~ The naked human body is something of beauty and is very much appreciated in France.

~~ Also, children are allowed to fend for themselves rather early on, and in addition, correction from any adult is relatively acceptable.

In Malaysia,

~~ You're not to touch anyone's head; Especially babies, and don't touch the head of an adult either, just better to hold back on that impulse.

~~ Keep in mind that causing damage to the natural ecosystem, removing flowers, and causing harm to fauna is a grave offence here, and maybe punished by caning. The culture of Malaysia staunchly stands against environmental damage.

Best thing to do when traveling for an international business or going on vacation is to read up on the new countries you are visiting.

Please vote, share and comment.