Chapter 13 - Car ride

Y/N's POV

The door is open, and I carefully peer in the room, hoping she wouldn't be here. I scan the classroom, noticing no one is there, sighing in relief.

After the last course, I noticed that my notebook wasn't in my bag or in my locker, realizing that I must've forgotten it after the last class.

So here I am, standing in the empty classroom after everybody already left, heading to their dorms yearning for a warm dinner and a soft bed. And I needed to be so stupid to forget my book.

Walking up the stairs to the row I sat in, I bent down under my seat, searching the floor for my notebook. But no object lies on the ground, only dust and a few used gum glued to the white flooring.

Oh, no. Where could it be?

Laughter echoes from the hallway inside. Laughter that I recognize instantly.

My body freezes on the spot, not able to move. I lift my head over the surface of the table, staring at the couple who enters the room.

Not someone I might have expected to accompany her. No, the sight before me gives me an unwelcome feeling in my stomach.

Ms Hathaway brightly gives the man behind her a dazzling smile, her eyes squinting in laughter at something he said. My eyes are on her until I hear the deep voice that travels to my ears, replacing the angelic sound from before with a now unfamiliar voice.

The man beside her is none other than the guy from the birthday party, the one whose hand is always too low on her back.

His dark hair a stark contrast to her shining blonde hair, underlining the fact that they don't fit together. He's also too tall, towering over her small form, making her lean her neck back, so she can look him in the eyes. That can't be comfortable at all.

They still haven't spot me behind the desk, continuing their unbothered chattering. After a minute, I realize that they don't make any movement to leave the classroom. My feet begin to hurt from the kneeling position, urging me to stand up properly, muscles aching painfully.

Oh, please let me die.

Even though I don't want to reveal myself, I lift my head, my cheeks burning with a pink tint.

"Uh, excuse me." I clear my throat awkwardly, standing on the spot behind the table, looking down on them.

The chattering stops, silence settling over us. My finger twitches. Their faces furrow in confusion at seeing a student standing in an empty lecture hall.

"Sorry, I don't mean to interrupt." I add, my eyes shifting between their faces.

"Miss y/l/n." Ms Hathaway says, surprise wavering in her voice.

My heart clenches at the formal greeting, never before hearing her say my last name. Like we are strangers to one another.

I clear my throat, shifting my weight from side to side. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pry."

"It's past school hours. What are you doing here?," she asks.

"I-" I stammer, "I searched for my notebook. I must have left it here after the previous class."

She raises an eyebrow at me. "And were you successful?"

"Ehm, no. I looked everywhere, but I couldn't find it."

"Well, if it's only a notebook, you can always buy a new one." The man beside her interferes, shrugging his shoulders as if it's a stupid thing to worry about. I already despise him.