Chapter 18 - Drunk Confessions

Y/N's POV

She has a bright smile on her face as she sees Aubrey waving at her. Just as she wants to take a step further, she halts dead in the track as she notices who sits beside her. I inwardly shrink, her gaze burning into me, staring at me in shock. Nervousness creeps over my skin, fingers tapping against the long forgotten glass of wine.

Just as quickly as she entered the room, she is out of the door swiftly, leaving us behind without an explanation, practically fleeing out of the restaurant.

"Not again." Aubrey sighs, rolling her eyes. With an annoyed groan, she gets up, hands pushing her dark hair behind her shoulders.

With a warning finger, she points at me, telling me to stay put. "Stay here. I'll be right back."

I nod, gulping down the half full glass in one sip to ease my mind. Without realizing it I let my leg bounce against the floor, hoping to relieve some build up anxiousness.

After a few minutes Aubrey comes back inside, an annoyed looking Ms Hathaway behind her who is playing with the golden rings on her fingers.

"Hey." I greet her with a small smile, which she doesn't return. Ms Hathaway only nods at me, briefly avoiding my eyes.

She sits down opposite of me, glaring at Aubrey with a fierce expression clearly disapproving of her setting her up like that.

I don't know if Aubrey even notices the daggers that Ms Hathaway is throwing at her or if she just ignores them. Still, the action impresses me.

"We are going to have a nice evening together, and you two need to sort it out." She orders us with a hard tone, talking to us like we are children who misbehaved.

The sight of Ms Hathaways pursed lips makes me hesitate, but I don't want it to be any more awkward than it already is.

I shrug my shoulders. "Fine with me."

Ms Hathaway lifts an eyebrow. "Likewise."

"Great." Aubrey claps her hands together. "That went better than expected. Now let's eat because I'm starving."

We order our food and another bottle of wine for us, but Ms Hathaway declines, only getting a glass of water. While we eat in silence, Aubrey breaks the thick tension that hangs above our table.

"So how was college today," Aubrey asks.

I freeze, gripping the glass tightly while I wait for something to happen. Who did she ask?

Ms Hathaway shrugs. "It was fine."

"Fine? Give me something more than that. You never talk about your work."

She puts her fork beside the plate, supporting her chin on her hand in thought, a smile spreading mischievously over her face glancing briefly over my face.

"Actually, something quite funny happened today..."

I stop eating, eying her from under my lashes, waiting for her to continue. She wouldn't tell her, or would she?

"Can you believe that a student just fell asleep in my lecture?" She grins in a whispering tone.

And she did.

"Oh no." Aubrey lets out a loud laugh, holding her palm over her mouth as she receives annoyed glances from the other guest sitting around us. "But Lizzie, I think that's a sign to change your way of teaching when your students begin to get tired in your class." She adds with a snicker.

It's my turn to suppress a chuckle, but I can't hide the quiet laugh escaping my lips, even though I try to press my lips shut tightly. But the sight of my professor looking so taken back by Aubrey's comment is too hilarious. The sound earns me a stern look from her, my breath catching in my throat.