Chapter 36 - Something is off

Y/N's POV

"I'm sorry to bother you, but there's an issue regarding next week's event."

Lizzie pushes herself away from my body, hand pushing her hair behind her back, eyes widening in shock. "Sit on the couch."

I nod, mind still mushy with the burning desire from her promising words. Trying to even my breathing, I sit down on the couch, crossing my legs together and intertwining my hand on my knee.

"Very subtle. Act normal." She chuckles, pointing to my hands. "You look like someone who's hiding something."

I roll my eyes, settling my hands on either side of me, raising a brow. "Better?"

Lizzie hums, nodding her head. "Now don't play any games with me, you understand? Or this will have serious consequences."

I bite my lip, suppressing a sneaky comment, instead nodding at her words. "I'll behave."

Satisfied with my answer, Lizzie turns around and walks up to the door. She unlocks it, opening the door wide for the man who stands outside.

I can see the person barely, leaning a bit backwards to get a glance at him. He's tall, like really tall. And not that bad on the eyes if I'm being honest.

"Good afternoon Mr. Lawrence what can I do for you?" Lizzie greets the tall man with a kind smile, letting him enter the office.

"Good afternoon to you too. I'm very sorry to bother you, but I must discuss something with you." He apologizes, stepping inside, noticing me right away. "I'm sorry I didn't know you had company."

Lizzie walks up to her desk, briefly looking at me before sitting down. "It's alright. Miss y/l/n, and I, needed to talk about her recent exam." She explains, pulling out a few papers from her pile, which must be my exam.

"Should I come back later? Or..." He pauses, taking a swift glance at me and looking back at Lizzie.

"She can stay."

I try to hide the small smile that wants to appear on my face at her words, reminding me of the last time she pushed me out of her office.

"Alright. The reason I came here is because of the charity event next week. I know you declined because of personal reasons but the professor who replaced you can't attend it anymore."

I can see her brows furrow, gulping at the mention of the event. "And told you I don't want to make an appearance there."

Mr. Lawrence moves closer to her desk, nodding at her words. "I know. You were quite clear about it, but finding another replacement for next week isn't possible. Miss, you have the knowledge of how these things go and therefore the only suitable candidate."

Lizzie sighs, crossing her arms on the table. "There's still time to prepare another person for the event. Besides, I can't just leave work, so suddenly I have lectures to give."

I don't have any clue what's going on right now. A charity event? And Lizzie doesn't want to attend it? Why?

Keeping my mouth shut, I act like I'm busy with my phone, but I still listen to their conversation. For another few minutes Mr. Lawrence tries to convince her, but Lizzie seems to be stubborn, not giving in to his plea.

At the end, he only exhales deeply, seeming to give up. "Just promise me you'll think about it. Attending the event doesn't mean you'll see them."

Lizzie looks to the side, closing her eyes for a second. When she opens them again, her eyes have a friendly glint again, staring at him with a small smile that doesn't seem genuine from my perspective. "Of course, I'll keep your words in mind."