that new chapter - chapter eighteen

Warning. Not edited!

+++

Grim slammed the taxi door and I paid the driver before he zoomed off.  A thick cloud of sand trailed after it, a dry cough scratching the back of my throat.  "A short ways from Las Vegas," Grim had mentioned earlier. 

He lugged the dead body bag over his shoulder.  "Welcome to my second life," he proudly said with broad arms.  A box shaped concrete home was guarded by tall gates, huge cactuses filling the lawn.

Isaac displayed the same confusion as me, staring quizzically at him.  "Second life?"

Grim lifted a panel by the gate and scanned his fingers.  The metal gate groaned as it opened, a stoned path leading to the colossal wooden doors.  "When Alice left me, I needed a new hobby."  I pretended to not be hurt by the 'hobby' term.  The tongue of his amusement in his voice tickled my curiosity though, and I followed close behind. 

"Honey, is that you?" called a woman's voice. 

"Honey?" Isaac and I burst. 

The wooden door creaked open and long fingers slid the screen door behind it.  Tan legs that went on forever poked past and there stepped out what anyone could've mistaken for a goddess.  She brushed her golden locks past her high cheekbones and smiled.  Isaac's jaw dropped. 

"I brought some people over," Grim causally told her and pecked a kiss on her cheek. She gave us a small wave, hugging the thin robe around her.  "Guys, this is Angie. My girlfriend." 

I exploded into laughter. I didn't mean to. Really, I didn't.  But it just happened you know. Isaac however was too transfixed on her legs.  

Grim scowled at my laughter and I quickly coughed the rest, coming to a rough stop. I looked to Angie who wore a straight face. I glanced back to Grim. "Girlfriend?" I stared at Angie. "Him? You're into him?" I pressed my lips together from laughing. "You've got to be shitting me, woman." 

The silence told me she must've been shitting bricks to match that seriousness. 

"Sorry," I coughed and averted my attention to the clear blue skies. 

She gave Isaac and me a dangerous look.  She carefully peered at us as if we were terrorists or something worse like puppy stealers. "Who are they?" she asked her 'boyfriend'. 

Grim shrugged and moved over to the garage. He started punching numbers in a panel again.  Jesus, what was with all the security?  Was he afraid a kangaroo would break in and steal his secret stash of condoms?  Since those used to be the only thing he needed from this dump.  Angie must've been a time passer for him.  Sex machines, I tell ya.  "The kid with glasses is Isaac. I met him through her." He didn't even give me a gesture, heck, even a name for that matter. 

"Her?" Angie's sharp voice wasn't the only thing sharp. I gave a pointed look at Grim, matching his girlfriend's alarm. 

Grim didn't lift his eyes. "Oh that's Alice. We're just old friends."

Old friends?! 

Thankfully I put a lid on the laughing jar.  But it still shook a bit, and I coughed again, disguising the stifle of laughter.