3.6

Winter break had started, many students leaving Hogwarts to return to their families. Aurora had asked her grandfather if he wanted her home to help with the shop, especially since many wizards had a knack for slipping on ice and breaking their wands, but he simply shooed her off and told her to enjoy Christmas with her friends.

She had spent most of the break sitting on her bed, reading tarot cards and trying to get a better idea of what her visions had been about. They all told her the same thing. Death, destruction, pain. Nothing to ease her mind and nothing to make the image more clear. With a huff she stood, tucking the cards back into her case before giving Crow a letter and sending him off to the Ministry.

They had been bothering her for a few months to come to the Department of Mysteries, hoping that she had some sort of prophecy to give them, but nothing had come up. Her visions were often short, most of the details in them being lost the moment she came back to the real world. Her letter was simple, an apology for not responding sooner and a promise to go at the start of Summer. A prophecy was different than a vision and not only had she never seen one, but she never wanted to have one. They were said to be painful -- more so than visions -- and upon having one a wizard would almost immediately be put into a protection program.

After that, she pulled on a light blue hoodie with the logo for her favorite Quidditch team, the Tutshill Tornados. She made her way down into the common room where Ron, Hermione, and Harry sat. They had obviously been having a deep conversation about Black based on their pale faces. She sat down next to Hermione, smiling politely towards them as Ron sighed,

"We could have a game of chess, or gobstones. Percy left a set--"

"Let's visit Hagrid." Harry interrupted, clearly wanting to get out of the castle for a bit and away from any conversation about his imminent demise. No one argued and they quickly grabbed their hats and gloves before leaving through the portrait hole, down the empty castle, and out the front doors.

Powdery snow coated their books, breath becoming icy as they slowly made their way down to Hagrid's cabin. Aurora shoved her hands into the pockets of her hoodie as Ron knocked on the door. After a short time of waiting he knocked again.

"Hagrid?" Harry called out when they heard someone inside, "Are you in there?"

The door creaked open and Hagrid appeared, his face red and puffy. He ushered the group inside where they took off their hats and gloves and sat around him. Hagrid began crying once again when he shoved a letter towards Harry. He read it aloud.

Dear Mr. Hagrid.

Further to our inquiry into the attack by a hippogriff on a student in your class, we have accepted the assurances of Professor Dumbledore that you bear no responsibility for the regrettable incident.

"That doesn't sound bad, you're off the hook Hagrid!" Ron patted the half-giant on the shoulder, but Hagrid only continued to cry and motioned for Harry to continue,

However, we must register our concern about the hippogriff in question. The matter will be taken to the Committee of the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures. The hearing will take place on April 20th and we ask you to present yourself and your hippogriff. In the meantime, the hippogriff should be kept tethered and isolated.

Hagrid sniffled, wiping his eyes before speaking in a shaky voice, "They've got it in for interestin' creatures. He's as good as dead"

Aurora's eyes wandered over to the corner upon hearing a cracking sound, the rest of the group following when she nudged Hermione's shoulder. The hippogriff, who Harry had mentioned was named Buckbeak, was laying down. His wings were wrapped around him as he ate something and blood was pooling at the ground beneath his mouth. The only one who had never seen the creature in person, Aurora, was staring at it with wide eyes.