3.11

Aurora woke up to Hermione and Harry sitting at her bedside, Ron in the bed across from her. The moment she opened her eyes Hermione gasped and grabbed her hand. Her shoulder, which had been healed, had bright white bandages wrapped around it.

"You're ok!" Harry rushed to the other side of her bed as Ron glared at her from a chair,

"And you've got a whole lot of explaining to do." He said coldly.

Hermione rolled her eyes, "In case you don't remember Ronald, she saved your life."

"She also turned into a bloody wolf! In case you missed that."

"Shut it, you're so loud sometimes." Aurora murmured, her head hurting from whatever potion they had given her, "I'm an animagus, Ron. I went through the process last year." She paused before looking over to Harry. He looked a lot happier than she would've originally thought, having believed that his godfather was dead, "Your turn. What happened after I passed out?"

And so they explained. The time turner, rescuing Buckbeak, saving Harry and Sirius from the dementors, and letting Sirius fly off. Apparently Snape had made a huge fuss, yelling and screaming that Harry had something to do with his escape. Aurora found herself thankful that she had been asleep during all of it. Sure, it was odd that McGonagall had allowed Hermione to have a time turner and even odder that Dumbledore had encouraged them to save Sirius, but she didn't bother questioning any of it. After all, Harry Potter and his friends often got special treatment. Eventually the conversation came back to her animagus.

"What are you, exactly?" Hermione asked, remembering that Aurora's wolf form was much larger than anything she had ever seen.

"A dire wolf." Hermione began to open her mouth, but Aurora quickly added, "Extinct, I know."

Ron had shut up by then, leaving Harry to ask questions, "Why didn't you tell us earlier?"

"I'm not registered. Only McGonagall and now you three know, plus Sirius and Lupin... if he even remembers." She sat up, rubbing her eyes. The look on Ron's face was exactly why she didn't tell them. Some people believed that animagus' were dangerous, that they couldn't control themselves like werewolves. Her eyes narrowed again as she pushed down the disappointment rising in her chest, "Stop looking at me like that, Ron. Not even my family knows."

He quickly looked away, stumbling on his words for a moment, "I-- I'm sorry. I just..." The fear on his face was replaced with what seemed like respect and he turned to talk to Hermione. "Why didn't you introduce us earlier?"

"Huh?" Aurora looked between the two, who were just glaring at each other.

Ron continued, "You can see the future and you're an animagus? It's bloody brilliant!" She was shocked at his words, thinking that he hated her for being added to their group. Her mouth fell open and Ron laughed, "It's officially settled, Aurora Ollivander, welcome to the Harry Potter protection squad. We make sure he--" He jutted his thumb towards Harry, "doesn't die."

She hadn't realized how hard of a job it would turn out to be.

~oOo~

When they finally left the hospital wing the castle was empty, with most of the students at Hogsmede for one final visit before summer break. They sat by the lake where Harry had found Aurora months before studying a topic they never got around to learning. The group watched the giant squid that took residence wave around his tentacles just above the water. Hagrid approached them, wiping his nose and telling them the good news about Buckbeak escaping.

"I was worried this morning'. Thought he mighta met Professor Lupin on the grounds..." Aurora started to pay attention to the conversation when she heard him mention Lupin.

"What?" Harry had turned towards Hagrid, trading looked with his friends,

"Blimey, haven' yeh heard?" His voice lowered, "Snape told the Slytherins this mornin'. Professor Lupin's a werewolf. He was loose on the grounds las' night... He's packin' now." He glanced towards Aurora, whose shoulder was still heavily wrapped.

Harry scrambled to his feet, grabbing her good arm and hauling her up to her feet, "We're going to see him. I'll meet you guys back here."

The pair practically sprinted to Lupin's office, bursting in the moment they got there. His suitcase was full, trinkets gone and various cages for creatures empty. The once cheerful room returned to the grim space it often became at the end of the year when yet another Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher left.

"I saw you two coming." the Professor motioned to a piece of parchment on his desk, the map Harry had told his friends about.

"We just saw Hagrid, are you really leaving?" Harry stepped further into the office,

"I am."

"Why?" While Harry didn't understand why his favorite teacher was leaving, it was clear to Aurora.

She placed a hand on his shoulder, "Parents won't let their kids learn from a werewolf." Sadness laced her voice as she looked at Lupin, who only smiled at her.

"You two were brave last night. Aurora," Her eyes returned to his, "Thank you for keeping them safe. A wolf is the perfect animagus for you. I'm sorry about your shoulder." She smiled and nodded, silently accepting his apology, "And Harry, Tell me about your Patronus."

And so Harry went over every last detail, the giant stag that had erupted from his wand and protected him and Sirius from the dementor's kiss.

Lupin was practically grinning when he finished his story and the professor reached into his coat, handing Harry the blank map he had used to sneak around the school grounds, "I'm no longer your teacher, so I don't feel guilty about giving you this. Maybe you'll find uses for it. If you ever need me, send an owl." With that bid them goodbye and left.

Harry and Aurora stood quietly in the empty office for a moment before one of them finally spoke, "Aurora..." Harry was looking down at his feet, "Thank you for saving Sirius. You put your life on the line for someone you still thought was guilty and I--"

He was stopped as Aurora wrapped her arms around him and pulled him towards her, "I'd do it again too. You're my friend, Harry. You're a dangerous and impulsive friend... but a friend nonetheless." He sighed, putting his arms around her and placing his chin on top of her head, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was an animagus." She added quietly.

"Yeah..." He smiled, his arms only tightening around her, "You'll have to tell me how you did it sometime."

End of year 3

Edited 5.25.2023