Two

Hope's POV

I sit back against my bed frame, watching the sunset through my window.

Hues of orange and red streak the sky, the white clouds becoming gray in comparison.

The cup of soup in my hands is warm. It's also the only thing I've been able to keep down for three days.

I don't even know how I caught it, but somehow the stomach bug going around school got to me.

I sigh and sip the hot liquid.

I pick up my phone, wanting to call Sam.

After the seventh ring, a familiar message plays.

Hey! You've reached Sam Peterson. I can't take your call right now, please leave a message if it's important. If not, fuck off and leave me alone. Bye!

Dammit.

I hang up and go to YouTube instead.

Someone knocks on my bedroom door and my head snaps up. I walk over and peek my head out. No one there.

That's weird, mom left to go grocery shopping ten minutes ago and dad's out with his friends.

I shut the door and turn around, but then they knock again.

I throw the door open, looking all around. Nothing.

What the hell?

"Whoever you are, I have a knife in here!" I yell. It's not a lie, mom made me promise that I would carry some kind of weapon with me at all times.

Then, they knock again.

I whip around. It came from the window beside my bed.

I step forward hesitantly, grabbing the knife off my bedside table.

I breathe out a sigh of relief. Just a robin.

I set down the knife, and my blood runs cold as my hand brushes something wet.

I look down and see blood running down my arm, leaking onto the knife and dripping crimson onto my desk.

The knife warps, the handle becoming wooden, the blade chipping into rough shape...

I've seen this knife before.

Wait, what's happening? Where am I?!

Someone grabs my arm and I feel a hand over my mouth.

A distorted voice whispers in my ear.

"You're just like me."

I scream as I wake up.

I'm not in bed, I'm not even lying down, I'm standing in the middle of my bedroom.

I-I don't remember going to sleep.

I look down, the blood's gone, the knife is back to normal...

What the fuck?

Am I hallucinating?

The voice's words ring in my head.

You're just like me.