Fourteen

Hope's POV

I've never really believed in the idea that your spirit can leave you. Just evaporate from it's host and roam the world as a glowing specter, knocking over chairs and opening doors.

But as soon as I hear those words, I swear to God my soul leaves my body.

I just stare at him, my jaw slack, as I try unsuccessfully to process what he just said.

"W-what?" I finally sputter, and he raises an eyebrow at me.

"There was no car accident. You made that story up."

"I was five fucking years old!"

"No you weren't."

"How old was I then?"

"From what you told me, fourteen."

It's like time stops moving. Like my brain just shuts everything down to try and figure out what my ears are hearing.

He takes the opportunity to explain.

"That man that you killed was your father. There was a car crash but it didn't kill either of your parents. You were thrown through the windsheild and lost. You eventually stumbled here. The rest...well you know the rest."

No...no...this can't be happening.

I sway slightly and he grabs my shoulder. "Sit down." He says, pushing me to the patio steps.

I let my forehead fall on the palm of my hand, my mind buzzing.

"H-how do you know all of this?" I ask, my voice cracking.

For the first time, I see something like vulnerability in his icy eyes.

"Because..." he trails off. I squeeze his hand, which I didn't realize I'd grabbed, urging him to continue.

He glances down at our intertwined fingers before, setting his jaw.

"Because..." his gaze never leaves out hands. "I was in the other car."