Eleven

Noah's POV

I feel the tension in the room skyrocket as soon as the words leave my mouth.

First, all I see in her emerald eyes is shock.

Then there's something else.

Turmoil.

"I..."

"Hope." The word comes out sharper than I intended, she starts fidgeting.

"Have. You. Killed. Someone?" I say slowly, and she swallows hard.

I've never seen someone more guilty looking.

"It was an accident!" She blurts out, guilt dripping from her voice.

"Tell me what happened." I say firmly. She nods.

"I was walking home at around nine PM, it was two years ago in the middle of October. I took a new route home, a longer route, to check out the Halloween decorations." She rubs the back of her neck sheepishly before continuing.

"I walked past a bar and stopped for few seconds to zip my jacket up. Then I heard someone running behind me."

She presses a hand to her mouth, trying to calm herself down.

"It was a guy I'd never seen before. I could tell he was drunk and started to walk away, but he grabbed me."

I watch her face as she tries to remember the details.

"He started dragging me to an alleyway. I tried to scream but he covered my mouth and put a knife to ny throat." She shudders at the memory.

"I panicked, he bent over to get something and I-I grabbed a pipe, I didn't mean to hurt him, I just wanted to knock him out so I could run!"

A sob tears from her throat, but she pushes it down.

"But then the police were everywhere the next day...and I realized what-what I'd done." Her voice is barely audible at the end.

I keep my face blank.

She buries her head in her hands and suppress a sigh as I realize I'm probably going to have to comfort her.

You can't tell someone sbout a thing like that and be ok after.

Now, how do I do this?

I pat her back awkwardly and she looks up, bewildered.

"Look this isn't my area of expertise." I mutter, and she gives a choked laugh.

Well that's better than crying I guess?

"Clean yourself up and come back downstairs. If you ever need to talk to me, I'm always at home from eight to two." I say once she gets it together.

She nods shortly and I leave her to do whatever the hell it is girl do to make sure no one can tell they were crying.

Well that was...interesting.