Seventeen

NOAH'S POV

I try not to focus on the memories rushing back to me as I jerk the wheel left avoiding a pothole.

Hope tenses up, her green eyes becoming glassy.

I watch her out of the corner of my eyes for for a few moments, before she snaps out of it with a scream.

"Tris!"

I blink at her. Who the hell is Tris?

"Oh god oh god oh god oh god..." she whispers, pressing a hand to her mouth.

It's then I remember she was in that accident too.

Not really sure what else to do, I grab her hand and lace our fingers together as the road evens out.

Her gaze snap to my face, confusion written in her expression, but she doesn't pull away.

She really does have beautiful eyes....

Stop it!

I shake my head, but don't let go of her hand.

She leans her head back against the seat, closing her eyes.

I take a closer look at her face. Dark circles are prominent under her eyes, her already fair skin is pale and her cheeks are somewhat hollow.

She's probably been stressed lately....not that I can blame her.

~~~

"Where are we going?" She asks timidly. It's the firat thing she's said since we got here.

I glance at her. "My old house. It was abandoned after...." i trail off, purposely leaving her in the dark about what happened here. If she gets another shock tonight I'm afraid she'll snap completely.

She narrows her eyes at me, but doesn't press the matter.

Thankfully.

"Y'know." She says calmly. "I never thought I'd be walking up to an abandoned house, at-" she checks her watch "- four in the morning with a criminally insane murderer."

"It would be odd if you did." I respond flatly. She rolls her eyes at my tone.

"I can't believe your only nineteen." She remarks after a moment of silence. Neither can I.

"And that's shocking.....why?" I inquire. She shrugs. "Well, you act so aloof and mature. Plus you were in a mental institution for over two years." I guess she has a point there.

"Well, I am." I say simply, knowing that attitude already infuriates her.

Surprisingly, she doesn't react to it.

"I know that, Einstein." She mutters, crossing her arms.

"So who's Tris?" The atmosphere goes from teasing to dead serious in a matter of seconds as her eyes snap towards me.

"What?"

"When we were driving, you screamed 'Tris' I wanted to know who it was." I also want to know how she remembered that.

"I got a flashback to the night of the accident." She says slowly. "There was another girl there, her name was Tris."

Thank god, she doesn't seem to remember.

The truth is, someone in her car did die.

But the less she knows about her dead twin, the better.