Three

Third person

"I-I'm not sure this is a good idea..." Hope stammers, stepping away from the door.

Sam rolls her eyes at Hope's shyness.

"It's fine. You need to meet new people."

"Sam, he's a fucking murderer."

Sam sighs. "Yes, I'm aware of that. Now come. On!"

Before Hope can protest anymore, her best friend pulls her through the door.

Leaning against the wall is a boy a few years older than Hope and Sam.

Noah raises an eyebrow at the girls and Sam throws her arms around her brother. Hope stands back, her emerald eyes wide.

She really doesn't like the look in his icy blue ones.

Sam puts an arm around her shoulder. "This is my best friend Hope. Hope, this is Noah."

"H-Hello." She whispers, holding out her shockingly steady hand.

He looks surprised, but takes her hand and shakes it quickly.

She steps back, watching warily as Sam tells her brother what's happened since they last talked, pittjng emphasis on the fact that she's not too thrilled about the date she went on.

But Hope gets the feeling he's not really listening to his sister, and that his thoughts are on the other person in the room.

She's right.

He sees something in her that he sees in himself. Buried, yes, and medicated, and not to mention that she doesn't seem to know. But it's there.

"I have to go. My mom will be wondering where I am." She lies smoothly, and he gives her a knowing look.

She closes the door and immediately sprints off into the street.

She runs a hand through her brown hair, one thought going through her head.

What was that?

He stares after her for a split second before putting on a smile for his little sister.

She grins back up at him cheekily. "I saw you checking her out. But don't get you hopes up, pun intended.

"Why not?" He asks. Not denying, not confirming.

Sam rolls her eyes.

"Her parents are way overprotective."

I think I know why. He says to himself.

"If you want any chance with her you have to be like, the perfect guy."

"Well, it's fine." He says, shrugging it off. She nids and starts to prattle on about something pointless.

He has two options now; leave her and avoid a possible danger, or, wake up that dormant part of her mind and earn a possible ally.

He always has liked living on the dangerous side of life.