Twenty

HOPE'S POV

"For your father's murder."

I stiffen involuntarily, feeling my eyes widen.

With all that happened last night, I admit I forgot about my father. And what I did.

"What? They said it was an accident!" I exclaim, finally snapping out of it.

"They did that to avoid any unnecessary panic. If people thought there was a murderer among them....anyways, no. They suspected your mother of killing him. Everyone knew she was unstable after losing you, so she was the number one. Keep in mind no one knows your alive."

I feel like the air was knocked out my lungs, my mind starts whirling.

"What do you mean they don't know I'm alive?" I ask slowly in an attempt to keep my voice from shaking.

"Hope, why do you think you got to stay here? You told them the car crashed and you couldn't find you family. They assumed they died."

I stagger back. "They think I died?"

"Yes."

"What about my name? Wouldn't they have looked up Hope Willwood?"

"No, because that isn't the name you had. Your adoptive mom's last name was Willwood before she got married. Hope was the name they gave you when you wouldn't tell them yours."

I grip the back of my desk chair, hearing my own pounding heart in my chest.

"I know what your name was, if you want to hear it." He offers.

Do I want to hear it? Do I want the proof that everything I've known for the last ten years has been a lie?

"Yes."

"Your name was Diana Rose Tillia. Your mother was Mia Tillia and your father was Robert Tillia."

Diana....I like it.

"Thank you." I whisper.

"Hm." Is all he responds with.