Chapter 25: Deceitful cheese puff (pt 2)

Lucius had no idea if his calm facade was working. What in the fucking Waste was wrong with the child? How would he respond to that? A small boy was in a successful process of blackmailing him mere minutes after their introduction, and Lucius was supposed to counter it?

"Such a threat is counterproductive to your earlier wishes," Anthony came to Lucius' aid with a strict demeanour, clearly unamused. "And might I add, quite unbecoming of someone with your title."

Lucius quietly joined in with a disapproving shake of his head.

"Well, it's just a suggestion," Frey said and to Lucius' terror his smile returned in an instant, radiant enough to suggest it'd never left his lips at all, and he cheerfully went back to swinging with his legs. "But I would rather help you, you know."

Anthony turned to Lucius now with a look of defeat. It was hard to blame him. Even Lucius found it hard to just up and murder a child even with his reputation being threatened, so what could they do?

He let out a deep sigh, turning to Frey with a look of unbridled disdain.

"Well then, what would you get out of this?"

Frey glanced in Anthony's direction.

"... You know what? I'd like to discuss things in private."

Anthony did not look pleased, but he seemed to conclude that Frey was unarmed and not an immediate threat, so he only bowed his head with a poorly hidden scowl before leaving the room.

Lucius looked after him as he walked, wishing he wouldn't have to face the two-faced imp alone, but refused to let it show.

So he cleared his throat.

"Well then, Lordling..." He gestured to Frey. "... Let's hear it."

"With pleasure." Frey jumped down from the desk to face Lucius more directly. "I want Lucia to start keeping an eye on the trade between South and West Kerilia, and make certain it all goes as it should."

Lucius raised an eyebrow.

"Isn't that what Lord Hargreaves is for? He's a toesucking Scourgefucker but he is in charge of most of the trade." He turned to look at the door. "Even your father trusts him to mentor you in that field. Why he'd shove you off to such a person— Sorry, vulture, is beyond me, but it certainly isn't for his personality."

Frey raised both his eyebrows in return, letting out an amused chuckle.

"I gather you were not lying about not wanting to marry him."

"I have a number of reasons," Lucius said dryly, and frowned at the smiling boy. "Also, you don't have to keep that cute little act of yours up. I think we're past that."

Frey pursed his lips, shaking his head as if Lucius was being silly.

"People like it."

"Not everyone."

"I know it does," Frey insisted, drumming his fingers against his arm. "I've studied people around my family, and they want cheerfulness and smiles."

Lucius frowned at the supposed fact, uncertain why it irked him, but if the boy was there to be educated he might as well contribute with what little social advice he had.

"Even so, you can't assume everyone's the same. Perhaps those superficial anglers like the act, but--"

"That's not what we were going to talk about anyway," Frey interrupted him, forcing his drumming hand down. "Let's go back to the trade."

Lucius shrugged, but obeyed.

"Fair enough, but I don't understand why you need Lucia. South and West Kerilia are on good terms, aren't they? Trade seems to work well enough."