Chapter 44: A familiar voice (pt. 2)

The ache came like a shockwave, coursing through Lucius' body as his vision faded. His limbs were stiff like a dead man's and all sounds drowned in the void he'd entered, but his mind was in full process of remembering the pain and humiliation he'd endured throughout his life, as well as his regrets.

He remembered the nights where all he dared to do was let Seth unleash his frustration in silence.

I should have told someone.

He remembered the slaps delivered by his father, and his mother's harsh words. The choice they'd made for him that had caused the rest of his tormented life to begin with.

I should have stayed. Made them pay in some other way.

The familiar discomfort of hunger, cold and shame associated with his years at the Hydrina theatre filled him. His last glimpses of Claudia and Mabel before they met their demise. The corpses of the other Hydrina inhabitants being thrown into the Siren's maw. The dead gazes of the girls as he'd buried them.

I was too late. I should have helped them sooner.

A warm, sticky sensation bled through his shirt as he felt the touch of Phil in his arms, light in his eyes going out before he could finish his sentence.

He should have overthrown Ravi before he could lead them into that death trap. He should have seen Adrian's betrayal coming. He'd been too naive. Too smitten. He should have taken care of Vaughan before he could attempt his revenge. Before he could shoot Anthony.

Anthony.

Conflicted emotions stabbed at him, and despite his paralyzed state, he managed to curl up and rest his forehead against his knees.

I shouldn't have gotten involved. He even tried to push me away.

No, I would have gotten nowhere without him. I'd been lost.

But he made me forget my real goals.

But I don't want my goals without him.

He should have left. He should have followed him.

More visions flashed before him. The cramped sewer tunnels where the garm almost tore him apart. The sharp glass as he climbed through the window to escape the natbakka. Derek's boot crushing his head, and the searing pain in his shoulders.

But they didn't matter anymore. His regrets stayed with the memories of Anthony.

Finally, the piercing redness of Catherine's presence reached his eyes, and he was snapped out of his trance.

She took it.

Was that why he couldn't move? He couldn't see. All he could hear were his own thoughts.

My...

He wanted to raise a hand to his throat, trying to feel if the necklace was really gone.

It's the same, over and over.

His thoughts were different. They were distorted, and Lucius could guess the cause of it.

Wrinkleface?

Why did you insist on ignoring me? Look at everything that's happened. All because of your own little idealistic goals that you couldn't even reach.

Lucius could discern something in front of him. A shape taking form. It didn't quite look like the Scourge's usual appearance, but he was certain it was supposed to be. Its face wasn't quite so wrinkled anymore, but in all honesty it was hard to tell. It had so many features. Eyes shifted like crawling worms on its usually blank skin. Mouths opened only to close and appear in other places. Sometimes they aligned to form a face, but the next moment they had changed again.