Chapter 27: Among normal people (pt 2)

Eliza stood silent as Lucius made some last, final tweaks to her new gown.

"So... Why did I have to change dress again?" She lifted part of the red frock. "What was wrong with the green one?"

"I just had a... Moment of inspiration." Lucius grinned, only a small glimpse of concern in his eyes. He had no idea if Catherine's love for red extended to her maids or if it was a strictly-Catherine thing, but he'd decided to gamble. If he noticed the others wearing non red clothes they always had Eliza's first option.

"So we're dressed in opposite colours," Samueli commented, holding out his arm to compare his emerald green sleeve, courtesy of being a Phion worshipper on Phion's day, to Eliza's deep red one. "At least people won't think we're... Up to something."

"Oh, goodness no." Eliza chuckled with an exaggerated, posh accent and brought out her fan. "A devoted maid and an old kitchen worker would never plan anything against their employers."

"Yeah, so..." Lucius made a face, slumping his shoulders with a sigh. "... It turns out Catherine will be here."

The other two stared.

"You said she's never here!" Eliza half whispered, half exclaimed. "Isn't she gonna need her maids at the ready then? At the very least not stuck in the kitchen."

"I know, I really didn't think she'd be here." Lucius matched her tone. "But Anthony already told Damien that he'd found a replacement for the sick maid so it might as well be you."

"But I'm not a maid." Eliza placed a hand against her chest. "I can cook and clean well enough but I can't act properly around a fucking lady."

"Mind your language," Samueli joined in, but looked equally troubled. "It changes things though. We might not be able to get a hold of food like this."

"It would be hard for you to work alone in the food cellar," Lucius agreed with an apologetic grimace. "You can't smuggle the food outside without Eliza working in the kitchen."

"So what, we're not doing it?" Eliza's voice was disappointed. "I'm just supposed to be an unqualified maid all night for nothing?"

"We could back out," Samueli suggested with a pat on her shoulder. "Say you were unable to make it, and we'll celebrate at the orphanage instead."

"No, I—" Lucius gave them a pleading look. He didn't want to celebrate without them. Sending them home without what they came for and then not getting to be there was too awful. "Just... Please stay. It's not what you wanted, but you're here now and the food's supposed to be good. And you even managed to find people to take care of the children. You might as well enjoy yourself."

Eliza pursed her lips, brow furrowing in thought.

"I do get paid, right?"

"Of course!" Lucius threw his hands out, smile returning and eyes brightening up. "A well paid job too!"

"And I suppose we could get a hold of some food to bring back." Samueli seemed less impressed still, but surrendered with a shrug. "As much as our pockets could manage at least."

"Exactly." Lucius breathed out. "We'll just have a nice evening, even if it's with stuck up assholes."

"Don't remind me." Samueli shook his head. "I'll be looking at you two, the food, and nothing else."

"That's gonna seem suspicious." Lucius still smiled, strained and exaggerated for sure but he wasn't about to scare Samueli off. "Just try to find the least stuck up people and stay there any time we're not around."

Samueli's lip curled.

"That's asking a lot."

"Pretty please." Lucius batted his eyelashes, consequently receiving a flick on the nose.