Chapter 17: Natbakka

Later that evening, after an excruciating meeting at the town hall with countless underhanded comments about how nice it must be that his vital position still gives him so much free time, followed by a short nap, Lucius headed over to the BBT manor.

This time he didn't sneak around the building however, but rather made his way straight towards the main entrance. He had no intention to hide. Instead he lifted his chin and walked up to the large door with all the confidence he had.

He grabbed the door knocker resembling a plain circle surrounded by four intricately detailed wings. It seemed irrelevant, but Lucius had kind of expected it to resemble the BBT emblem.

Then again, a broken fang would not make a very good knocker.

He waited patiently after knocking on the door. With that big of a building he'd be lucky if a servant was nearby. Chances were he'd have to knock again, or pick the lock of course, but he'd learned from experience that might not go over well.

"Evening, worm," a voice suddenly said behind him and Lucius didn't get the chance to turn around before a hand grabbed around his throat.

"Mr. Kilgrave." Lucius tried to smile as Derek turned him around, refusing to let go of his throat. "What a pleasure."

"Pleasure's all mine," Derek replied dutifully, though Lucius was certain he genuinely meant it.

He tried to stay calm though. Attacking Derek would only hurt his goals, and since they'd spared him because of Anthony, why would they kill him now?

"Listen, I... I need to talk to Damien," he managed to whisper as his vision grew blurry, and doubt in his judgement of the situation made itself known.

"Was he unclear last time when he wanted you gone?" Derek's grip remained firm at first, but just as Lucius had to consider either fighting back or accepting unconsciousness, he let go.

"I—" Lucius took deep breaths, knees buckling as he tried to regain his composure. "I want you to reconsider... Letting me join."

Derek raised his eyebrows.

"No."

Then he turned to head inside the house, but Lucius grabbed his arm.

"At least hear me out. Or, let me speak to Damien. I know—"

"Listen, it's getting late." Derek turned his head skywards. "I have things to do and no time to torture people, so if you're gonna keep this up I'll have to kill you on the spot, and then we'll both be disappointed."

"You—" Lucius hesitated, considering the threat. "You really shouldn't turn away someone who can incapacitate a garm."

This caused Derek to pause, slowly looking back over his shoulder.

"... A garm?"

"I know you know about them," Lucius insisted. "You have to. You've been investigating werewolves or something, haven't you? That's why it's noted on that map. And you know about Ethan, so it's not like you haven't dealt with supernatural people before."

"Why the Wastewould I not know about them?" Derek turned around completely, a condescending eyebrow raised to suggest Lucius was a very dumb man. "And why would you expect me to feel threatened about you knowing?"

Lucius blinked.

"Well, I... Figure it's not something you want people to know about?" The uncertainty in his voice was not intended, but Derek's indifferent eyes made him falter.

To make matters worse, Derek then chuckled, his patronising look turning into one of pity.

"Anthony's really been trying to keep you out of it all, huh?"