Chapter 30: Skipping a beat (pt 1)

Despite everything, Lucius figured the night could have gone worse. After emptying most of his stomach in that alley, he and Ethan had managed to stagger their way to Anthony's house and passed out in the drawing room, Lucius eventually being woken up by Tom who patched his neck and forced him to drink what had to be an unhealthy amount of water and some gross, strange concoction.

Still, against his expectations his following headache was bearable, and he was well enough to manage a day's work aside from some occasional nausea twisting his stomach. For better or worse, it seemed as though the council members always expected something to be off with him anyway.

As soon as it was socially acceptable to leave the town hall he headed straight towards the BBT manor. With Ethan spilling some hints at what Anthony's problem with affection was, Lucius was eager to talk it out. Anthony had been there for him so many times after all, it only seemed right.

Especially when it involves me as well.

He scoffed at his own, selfish thoughts. There was no reason he couldn't have multiple intentions with one conversation, but it sure felt inappropriate.

Cautiously glancing around, Lucius stepped into the entrance hall without a sound. It wasn't as though he wasn't allowed in there anymore, but he still decided to use the silent butler's large frame as a travelling hiding place to avoid potential encounters with Damien or Derek, despite the reproachful gaze he received in return. He just wasn't in the mood, and he had more important things on his mind.

To his dismay, Anthony didn't seem to be in a particularly good mood either as he opened the door to his office, and Lucius raised an eyebrow.

"I haven't seen you all day. How could I possibly have upset you already?"

"You haven't." Anthony's forehead was wrinkled. "Just thought you'd still be asleep."

Lucius smiled a sheepish smile.

"Talked to Ethan?"

"He came stumbling into my room with news that 'perhaps alcohol-blood isn't intoxicating, but unholy vein-blood certainly is'," Anthony said, arms folding. "He was very excited about it."

"Really?" Lucius blinked as his eyes widened. "He got drunk from unholy blood?"

"I honestly doubt it." The corner of Anthony's mouth twitched in annoyance. "But I guess he found it exhilarating nonetheless."

Lucius tilted his head, eyebrow arching as he scanned Anthony's face closer.

"Are you... Jealous?"

Anthony scoffed.

"Of my brother's need to drink blood for survival?"

"Of him biting my neck," Lucius clarified with a smug look, though doubted he needed to. "I guess it's kind of intimate."

"It's just food for him." Anthony looked away before stepping aside to let Lucius into the room. "That kind of closeness is not the same for him as for others."

Lucius shrugged, still not convinced but decided teasing wouldn't work in his favour at the moment. Not with the topic he had in mind.

"Well, I actually wanted to talk to you about..." He frowned as he searched for words. It seemed so casual to just show up like that for a not so casual conversation. "... Our thing. Um... Us? Our relationshi—"

"I don't think this is the time," Anthony began but Lucius hadn't come all that way with a slight headache and sore neck just to turn around.

"Now is a great 'the time'," he argued and began closing the door behind him, but Anthony stopped it with his hand.