Chapter 23: Corpse and alcohol

After all, hadn't he been thinking about it? Felt it? Even when he hadn't taken the time to consider it. Even before Anthony's assumed death. Even when he'd told himself he couldn't trust someone so easily after what happened with Adrian.

But Anthony was not Adrian. Perhaps he was the opposite.

Adrian had used him, made him feel guilty for no reason, tried to push him into doing things he didn't want, but Anthony? Lucius could not disregard all the lies he'd been put through, but he could see them from Anthony's perspective now, and it made things a little better.

Besides, Lucius wasn't the most honest person either.

Two numbskulls, as well as two liars.

Perhaps they actually suited each other in that way.

Lucius hadn't quite expected it, but Anthony's lips were actually softer than his own, and he wondered if all people with paintings did some extensive skin-care before locking their bodies like that. Regardless, Lucius' lips were dry from his state of unconsciousness and his way of kissing felt rather clumsy when he gave it some thought.

Then another realisation struck him, and he slowly pulled away from the kiss.

Anthony's reaction was hard to figure out. The shock was expected, sure, but there was an expression leaking through that Lucius would either describe as pain, or fear.

Neither was a desirable reaction to a kiss, but Lucius hoped it was for another reason, and he glanced down at the dried smudge on Anthony's lips. In the midst of everything it seemed he'd forgotten the state he was in, having had his mouth covered in blood from his stomach.

"I taste like corpse," he whispered, the realisation colouring his voice with doom.

To his further misery, Anthony confirmed it by nodding, shocked stare persistent.

"Corpse and alcohol."

Lucius sighed in defeat, not without covering his mouth, and turned his head away.

"Well isn't that fucking delightful, he mumbled underneath his hand, the other one pressing hard against his knee to keep him from punching himself. "Always the charmer."

He couldn't see if Anthony's expression had changed. He wasn't sure he wanted to.

"Lucius, are you—"

"I think I should rest a bit more," Lucius hurriedly said, still looking away. His face was burning, and the rapid beating of his heart made his hands tremble. Why? Why had he done that? Not only had he kissed Anthony out of nowhere, he'd shoved the taste of decay into his mouth at the same time. "I just— I got caught up in the moment... I wasn't thinking."

Anthony didn't reply at first, and Lucius finally turned his head to glance at him.

At least his shock seemed to have gone away, but the concern remained ever present in his current frown.

"Is that true?" he then asked, and Lucius pinched his lips together. He was quite certain it wasn't, but could he admit that?

"Well..." He sighed again. He was so tired of lying. "... No. Or, not completely?"

Anthony raised an eyebrow, and Lucius tried shrugging the embarrassment off.

"I really did get caught up in the moment, but I... I would have wanted to anyway."

"Kiss me?"

Lucius only nodded, gaze falling down to his hands.

"And... You regret it now?" Anthony wanted to know, leaning his head down in search of eye contact. "Or are you embarrassed?"