Chapter 32: His everything

Despite his feelings towards the finger-numbing, cold rain that had drenched South Kerilia throughout the night, Lucius had to admit the air was unusually nice to breathe as he walked through the north-eastern streets of town.

"So I think we can agree that the well back there is in much greater need of repair than the fountain we saw earlier," he said to Bahman as they continued to inspect the various structures around them, and the latter nodded.

"We will move it up on the list, but I do think we should focus on the Carp road houses first. The roofs are frighteningly damaged."

Lucius nodded, relieved that his plan had worked so well. There would have been no way for him to write with his hands in such poor condition, so he'd proposed that he and Bahman look around town to find where renovations were most urgent.

If only The Entrails would count.

"You seem different today," Bahman said, and Lucius laughed sheepishly, thinking back to the awkward preparations that morning. To his surprise it had turned out that Richard, though merciless with a brush, wasn't too shabby at hair management, and while Tom had stabbed Lucius' eye with a pencil a couple of times he'd proven worthy of a pass in the end.

"Is it that bad?" I tried experimenting with cosmetics this morning, but perhaps I was too eager about it.

"No no, not that." Bahman hurriedly shook his head. "It's just that you seem unusually chipper. Your appearance is impeccable, as always."

Lucius wasn't sure if he was lying, or if Tom and Richard somehow really knew what they were doing in beauty emergencies. He smiled at the comment though.

"Yes, I... I suppose I am." His heart warmed as he remembered the night before. "I've had a good night's sleep. It doesn't happen so often nowadays."

Bahman gave him a sympathetic look.

"You haven't found servants yet, have you? Since you're getting prepared on your own in the morning."

"No, still haven't." Lucius' smile was awkward again. "Anthony keeps reminding me, but much like with sleep, I haven't found the time to look for any."

"There has been a lot to do," Bahman agreed. "And you've had bad luck with the whole sanctuary falling, and some illness. Perhaps it would be better in the long run to take a day off to bounce back. Rest, eat properly, and do some searching for servants."

Lucius pursed his lips.

"I don't think rest is a luxury I can afford at the moment. There's already so much that needs to be done."

"I'd be happy to assist, if there's anything I can do."

"You already do more than the other council members." Lucius smiled gratefully. "But if you can gather up the others and whip them into shape, I'd appreciate it."

Bahman snorted.

"I'm not the whipping type of person. You know that."

"But with my permission?" Lucius suggested, waggling his eyebrows. "My order?"

Another laugh.

"I can't say no to that now, can I?"

"Well, alright then. I'll see to it that you all have the proper equipment, and then I suppose I could take a day to rest. Dyris knows I need it." Lucius nodded, quietly letting out a sigh of relief.

"Oh, there's Lord Hargreaves," Bahman then said, and Lucius' mind swayed between dread and hope.

"Which—" he asked, but stopped as his eyes followed Bahman's gaze and landed on Anthony. "Oh, good."