Chapter 41: Odds of survival

Lucius stared into the wall. It had probably been a nice wall once, being a remainder of a nice theatre, but now it was ugly. The paint had been peeled off, and it looked brittle from water damage and possible infestations, but Lucius had nothing else he wanted to stare at.

"Sam should fix this wall next," he still mumbled absentmindedly.

"There's a lot I would repair first if I were him," Tom replied, being the only other person in the small, temporary bedroom that had used to be a changing room of the Hydrina theatre. "Like... Most rooms downstairs."

Lucius didn't object to that. He hadn't given any thought to what he'd said before anyway. He slowly twirled a lock of his Lucia-wig around his finger before finally tearing his gaze away to frown down at Tom's progress.

"Are you done yet?"

"Most of your wounds look fine, actually." Tom stood up from the floor after checking on Lucius' bandaged leg and turned his attention to his arm. "I think what concerns me most is the condition of this one."

"I had no choice." Lucius grimaced, adjusting his position on the bed. "I couldn't keep it still with everything going on."

Tom did not seem to find that a proper excuse.

"Chances are you'll have some permanent difficulties with it, if you're unlucky..." He turned his head away. "... Which you usually are."

Lucius narrowed his eyes, and dared to glance up at Tom.

"... Has he said anything yet?"

"Still in his room. I don't think he's been outside since all that."

"Right..." Lucius pursed his lips and looked down at the deep purple dress he was wearing. He didn't want to go outside either. Not with Damien looking for him, but if he didn't get back to his place at the town hall, people would wonder if Lucia was healthy enough to continue her job.

And then he'd be replaced.

"Do you think I was wrong?" he had to ask, and Tom made a face.

"I understand your reasons, but... Hard to justify that big of a thing. I think few would agree it was the appropriate action to take."

"Well the Reapers were alright with it," Lucius mumbled with a disgruntled frown. "And even Ivan agreed to help."

"Yes." Tom's voice was suddenly dry. "Thank you for promising him I'd fix him a near impossible healing potion to save his wife whose chance of survival is next to none, by the way."

Lucius did not appreciate the sarcasm, but he let it go.

"Did Sam say anything about when Bahman would be here?" he asked instead, and Tom shook his head, still inspecting Lucius' shoulder with a somewhat accusatory look.

"Just today, really. So it's good that you're already in disguise."

"Yeah..." Lucius looked out the small window with a tired sigh. Had it not been for the help of Eliza, he wasn't sure he would have managed to look like Lucia in his condition. He barely had the desire to get out of bed.

"Mr. Faal told me, by the way," Tom said, with a new hint of warmth in his voice. "How you told him to stall Mr. Featherstone, making sure he wouldn't make it to the party."

Lucius was not sure why he felt embarrassed by it being acknowledged, but he still huffed in response.

"Just seemed unnecessary to lose people who like Lucia, I guess."

"It's just nice to hear you caring," Tom continued, looking rather embarrassed himself by his words. "About others than— I mean... It's just been a little concerning before, but..."