Chapter 6: Around since forever

The idea of having even the slightest glimpse of energy left for work was laughable. Lucius couldn't even listen to a word Bezek had to say without wanting to punch him.

It wasn't even necessarily mean or worthy of aggression, but Lucius could use some violence at the time. The past twenty-four hours had been draining to put it mildly and he'd gotten no sleep whatsoever.

Still, he'd made a decision to be more open minded towards the richer side of town, so while stifling a groan Lucius had to make an effort to listen to what the man had to say.

"I think it's not more than fair, don't you think?" Bezek asked, and Lucius clicked his tongue at the inopportune place to return to a conversation.

"Can you elaborate?" he therefore asked, raising an eyebrow. "Just so we're clear?"

Bezek looked taken aback, but he looked down at the papers in his hands again with a sigh.

"Mr. Whitbrow is requesting another talk about the situation yesterday. Says he'd like to meet at your earliest convenience."

So... Never?

"Right..." His mind was already slipping. It scurried back to the image of Mabel's empty grave and he winced. He knew he couldn't be expected to not think about it, but did it have to distract him from everything else? Chances were it would require a lot to get to the bottom of it and he simply didn't have the time at the moment. "... I suppose we could schedule him a week from now?"

Bezek frowned, eyebrows looking as though they were weighed down by his disappointment.

"Lady Cromwell... I'm rather certain we can meet with him earlier than that."

Lucius had two choices. The most preferable one was uttering a sentence containing two curses, one insult aimed at Bezek, one aimed at Whitbrow and a quick lesson in what 'convenience' meant. The other was to play nice.

"Well, if you know a good time, I'd be ever so grateful if you could schedule that," Lucius said with his brightest smile. "Preferably right after tea."

"I'll see what I can do." Bezek's returned smile was strained, but he seemed to at least be content with the answer and turned around to head to his office.

Lucius had just taken the liberty to lean back against his much appreciated, comfortable chair when Bahman walked in, successfully crushing his hopeful ideas of some peace and quiet.

"Lady Cromwell?"

"You know, I call you Bahman so 'Lucia' is alright." To Lucius' surprise they'd somehow managed to match colour-schemes today, with Bahman wearing a silvery blue coat very similar to the colour of Lucius' wig of the day and they'd both gone with dark grey accents on their clothing.

Well..." Bahman didn't look convinced, but he moved on from the subject. "... I just wanted to tell you that Lord Hargreaves would like to speak with you."

Lucius' tired eyes switched to wide awake.

"Really?"

He almost couldn't believe it, but what a relief. If Anthony was willing to discuss things for real this time, maybe it could distract Lucius from the Mabel case until he'd be able to investigate it properly.

"Yes, really." Bahman smiled, though if Lucius wasn't wrong there was a hint of concern in his expression as well. "Should I go—"

"That won't be necessary, Mr. Featherstone," a new voice appeared from the doorway and to Lucius' confusion and disappointment the man who stepped past Bahman and through the doorway was not Anthony.