Chapter 42: Now they know

In fairness to Lucius, he would not have been able to walk properly even without the threat of what would likely be a gruesome death. His previously pierced leg had no desire to support him yet, and everything that had gone down at the Hydrina orphanage had left his already aching head in a dizzy turmoil.

Derek did not feel the need to slow down however and Lucius' feet could barely touch the street for every step he took before he was half thrown forward instead.

"I can't walk like this," he mumbled, as if he expected Derek to care. "Wherever it is you are staying now it probably isn't near here, so if you're really set on this a carriage would be better."

Derek's lips quirked for just a second.

"It's not that far."

The longer they walked, the more people around them started looking, and whispering. No one came to Lucius' aid though. Whether it was the reluctance to interact with the man next to him or a sudden relapse into distrusting Lucia was unclear, but Lucius was disappointed nonetheless.

"You realise I had no choice." It was futile, but he still had to try. "Damien's been tormenting him for centuries and then threatened to kill me when I tried to change that. I had to do something."

"I told you early on that you needed to stay away from the Hargreaveses." Derek gave him a reprimanding look. "For a reason."

Lucius made a pointless effort to yank his arm out of the man's grip.

"You can't agree with him! No one should watch what's been happening and think it's fair!"

"Think whatever you want." Derek shrugged. "You won't have to watch for much longer anyway."

An icy wave surged through Lucius and he clenched his jaw for it not to show. Whatever torture Damien had in mind for him, he would endure it. Anthony would come save him eventually, or someone else. Ethan, or Samueli, or Eliza. Perhaps even Tom or Richard.

But how likely was it really?

They made another turn, and Lucius was surprised to find that he'd been led to the town square. Even with people being scared of Derek there had to be someone who would speak up about the mistreatment of a town chief.

His heart sank as they made their way through the unusually large crowd. Had Damien taken over the town hall? Was that where they were heading? Perhaps he'd simply overthrown Lucia already.

But Derek forced him in another direction, and Lucius got plenty disoriented by the people around them.

"Why are we here?" he hissed at Derek. "This has to be the worst possible way to get through town. People are looking!"

"As they should," an unfortunately familiar voice said, and Lucius' face turned into a scowl even before turning to face Damien.

"Why—"

It was like being stabbed in the chest. Blood drained from Lucius' face as he noticed where his enemy was standing, and his scowl disappeared in an instant.

"Because it would be strange if Lucia just disappeared after everyone's been told she's still alive," Damien explained as he took a step down from the gallows. "And people deserve to know exactly who she is before that happens."

Images from the Hydrina execution invaded Lucius' mind, heartbeat speeding up to block out the voices around him as his knees wished to collapse on the spot. Not him too. He couldn't have escaped that day only to end up there anyway.

"You know you deserved it." He tried to keep his composure, gaze still avoiding the steps leading up to the platform. "I won't regret it no matter what happens, but you know you'll only be hurting him further if you go through with this."