CH.6: HALL OF SHAME

I entered the house and met my dad with two white men who were covered in vile tattoos. They were watching football.

"Oh, my princess is here," dad said as I drew nigh gradually, gazing at the men weirdly.

"Really? This kid is yours, man?" One of the men asked in astonishment and my dad ostentatiously nodded. I stood beside him in displeasure.
I whispered, "Dad, I need to talk to you," I didn't want to attract the attention of those men.

"About what, Olamide?"

"It's Stephanie and I need to talk to you... privately. You know, somewhere away from here," I replied but the white men wouldn't face the television like they were doing before I showed up. They kept gaping at me.

"Oh sweetie, you can say anything you want to right here. You don't have to be private about anything, those guys are like your uncles."

I waited for them to turn away from us and when they didn't, I had to speak up before wasting any more time.

"Daddy, you said you would make my career happen here in Olive Valley but you haven't spoken about it ever since."

Dad smiled and looked at the men, "but we just arrived here."

"And you never spoke of it again. That's the only reason I ever agreed to come here with you and if you can't work it out, tell me so I can go pack my stuff back to my country, and back to my sales business, and back to my mother."

"Okay, okay. Those guys sitting over there are the ones I was talking about whom are involved in the..." Dad had lost his words and one of them helped him out, "Local theater play production."

"Really?" I wasn't sure if I was going to believe him.
I thought about it for a moment and said to myself, "local theater?" Somewhat disillusioned. It didn't seem like a place where a "professional" actor like me would fit into.

                      ***
Later on, Dale and Patrick, the two white men, sat me down and gave me some admonition and some information based on my career.

"There's a variety of productions you can join—TV, film, theater, voiceover, and commercials. All that matters is starting small and not just hopping into the train of the professionals. And go through the necessary process," said Patrick.

"If you dream of becoming an actor but have no experience, there are many things you can do to prepare yourself for this career; like taking acting classes, further your formal education, join a local theatre, learn about the industry, build your resume, take a professional headshot, create a demo reel, hire an agent... and a lot more. The industry is pretty competitive so you might wanna chill out a sec. Follow the necessary steps and be a patient dog," Dale said. "Since you're new to this, I could have someone give you proper guidance and information in the next few weeks."

Dale wanted me to be extraordinarily patient but I wasn't willing to allow a teenage superstar continue to intimidate me. I was just  as beautiful as she was and I was also full of imitable qualities and potentials.

I desired to become a successful actor at once and not just achieve my goals, but also prove to that witch that I could be just as great as her.

I was overly ambitious.
Dale listened to my enthusiasm and ardent desire and then he informed me about the forthcoming auditions for a play in the local theater and reluctantly asked if I would like to join the auditions. Did he even have to ask?!

He offered me the greatest opportunity of my life and he coincided to coach me a bit but he still insisted I hold up for certain reasons that were obscure to me because I never listened.
"I don't want to wait and train or anything. I need to fulfill my dreams now. I know just all I need to."