CH. 21: COMPANY

As I was about entering my class, I met Mrs Kayla standing by the door of my classroom and before I got the chance to utter a word, she asked me to go with her to somewhere private.

"What's going on with you?"

"What's going on?" I returned the question, being puzzled.

"I see your dealings with Nicole on social media."

"Shit." Thought I blocked you too. "Um, we were just hanging out."

"Hanging out?" Her facial expression looked like she blew a fuse but her tone and words remained calm, "You know I'm always here if you ever need anyone to talk to."

"I'm fine. Did Arthur... Maybe tell you anything?"

Nicole then came to me.

"Hey champ," she said.

"Nicole, can we be excused?" Mrs Kayla asked.

"Nah, just got here. So what's on the menu for today?" Nicole pushed further knowing the woman was serious.

"Nicole, leave this moment."

"And what if I don't?" Her tone transformed and became deep in a lack-laughter manner, "You gonna call the cops on me? Oh, I see it now, you want me to go away 'cause I'm on the menu for today and Stephanie has to back off 'cause I'm a bad influence, isn't that it?"

Mrs Kayla was quiet. There was rage in her eyes.

"Steph, are you gonna let them control you? You are not a puppet. You are supposed to live your life the way that pleases you, not because everyone tries to define what is wrong and right. They are not your parents... they are not your life. You know, there's more to life than just sitting around and letting some set of people push you around like you don't own your life. You should have a say over certain matters involving you. Like I once told you, I know you to be savvy, not blank."

"Now, let me correct you..."

"Hold it," Nicole dramatically clenched her fist on air rudely. "Don't wanna hear those counseling stuff—'oh Nicole, you're so bad, you're so wrong'... nah, don't wanna hear it. You can go on with your little chit chat but Steph, always remember, your life is your choice, no one should define it for you."

Nicole pulled out a lollipop from her pocket, she unwrapped it and slowly licked it then walked away—all in a form of ridicule.

I was thrown off balance and at loss of words to say. I could tell Mrs Kayla was extremely agitated and it was only a matter of minutes before Nicole and I would be held under custody in the principal's office.
Mrs Kayla had always had a problem with other teachers for being too calm.

Instantly, my mind began to mull over Nicole's little motivational speech. Then I pondered deeply about how Arthur and I had received those private pictures of I and Nicole hanging out. I suspected Delaney and I was shortly upset.

                      ***
During recess, I went to Emlyn and we sat outside for a chat.

Emlyn wasn't that much of a problem solver but I loved that once in a while, he was a good listener.

I discovered his caring nature just from the first hour we got to spend together. He had a voice that pacified and when we talked sometimes, his words were filled with flattery. He talked harmoniously and was never a trouble maker, not to mention that I had a titanic crush on him; my feelings were veiled, even from him—I guess.

Pouring out my feelings to him felt so relaxing.

"Steph, I thought you and Arthur used to be besties," Richard said; he and Andrew joined in from nowhere.