CH.27: REDEEMED

Cleaning had never been so amusing. I and Melody sang heartily as we wiped the glasses and cleaned the table of my living room.

We suddenly halted when we heard a familiar name from the TV before us. I looked and saw pictures of Nicole then Haidée on the screen, on the news.

Melody grabbed the remote and amplified the volume.

It was reported that Haidée had died of suicide. Days before, it had been reported that Nicole was admitted in the hospital for drug overdose, almost losing her life.

I and Melody looked at eachother in shock. We grabbed our phones to check the internet-the center of news.

There were many articles and blogs about the hidden dealings in the entertainment industry and its impact on young people. Then everyone was talking about Aristarchus and his wayward daughter, how her friends' misfortune over the years had been caused by her company and influence. Some did claim that it was only a coincidence.

We breezed past her tragic story; we didn't pay attention to any of it, neither did we wish her any misfortune in life. Nevertheless, I knew that that would have been me if God hadn't rescued me.

When my parents found me-physically and emotionally-they wept as I unleashed the burdens of my heart to them concerning the lackings of our home and the damage it cost me. They took the blame for poor guidance and reckless parenting.

"Just one child, just one, Dele, and we messed up." My mom wept bitterly.

"We messed up."

I was glad that they were united in blaming themselves, at least that was something.

Because of me, my parents willingly accepted to get back together and build a healthy home.

Everything worked out together for my good; by my temporary fall, my family was made to stand. We lived together in the United States in togetherness and love and support.

***
It had been months since my life was renewed. I spent most of my time building my self spiritually and physically. While I was growing fond of the company of God's Holy Spirit, He guided me and told me the things to do. He filled my heart with peace, gave me hope and comforted me.

I got my past behind me and focused on the present and the future. It wasn't an easy road, especially having to keep my past in the past. But He was there for me.

I was back in school and back to my former self, only better. I also got an after-school job at a café as instructed by Mrs Kayla, working side-by-side with Emlyn and Melody. Our frequent and favourite customers were Arthur, Delaney, Richard, and Andrew. And when I wasn't working, I spent time helping backstage at the local theater.

I invested my time writing my dreams down and training towards them.

***
"So, what happened to China?" I asked Arthur.

"I kinda suspended that ambition."

"But why?"

"Because he felt bad that he not telling you about it wrecked your friendship," Delaney answered.

"Hey, don't tell her that. You're gonna make her feel special."

"Too late! I already feel special."

"I will visit China... with my friends," Arthur smiled.

Our attention was then drawn to Emlyn who was being summoned by a man in a suit and tie at a distant table.

"You dropped this," he said and Emlyn exclaimed, "Oh, thank you, sir."

Emlyn took the manuscripts for his book which he had dropped on the table of the café, where he had been assessing the book during his break time.

"Come, boy," The man said again and Emlyn went to him. "Did you write this?"

"Yes, yes, I did."

"Hmm, such an amazing story. Have you got plans to publish?"

"Uh, yes. But, not exactly now. I'd actually like to make it into a book, then a movie."

"That's smart. And I would like to see more of this and know more. Here's my card."

He handed his business card over to Emlyn and exited the place.

In two days, we realized that he happened to be the owner of the local theater and a renowned movie producer who had just returned from Germany.

He inquired more about the book and showed deep interest in it. And I knew that something was about to happen.

***
I grabbed my journal and my face lit up with a smile. I began to write down the thoughts of my heart:

"Every thinking human being has a dream; that which ought to be achieved, leading to their purpose here on earth.

"Young minds dream great with greater hopes of achieving their purpose. There comes a vigorous yearning for the youngsters to attain those heights, especially at their youth, when there is much life in them.

"It becomes easy for deception to infiltrate the oneiric minds and mislead the heart with other factors bothering an average adolescent. It spoils the intents of the heart and drives the motives towards unhealthy riches, fame, power and lust.

"While some do fulfill their dreams, they escape their purpose and though they have what they want and need-the desires of their heart and flesh-they still are restrained from accessing true joy and peace hidden in the fulfilment of one's purpose in life.

"I had derailed from the path that my Maker aligned for me even before my birth. I was a foolish teenager; confused and overwhelmed by many things; distracted. But, He found me at the end and led me on that path; this time, with me clutching His garment like a timid infant."

***

It was nightfall. I stood by the window side and gazed at the aesthetic appearance of the sky. The stars lined up in perfection. A gentle breeze blew in and flustered my hair as I smiled. I looked forward to the better days ahead.

Redeemed to breed a dream for Him.