CH.7: THE MIXUP

The next two days at school was nothing but a nightmare for me. Nicole's one week detention was still on and she tortured me for it.

That Thursday, I got to school as early as I could and approached my locker. As soon as I got my hand on the handle of my locker, it felt wet and Nicole swiftly sprung out of nowhere with her minions—as I referred to her friends.

"Hey, freak," she said and the rest giggled at the back like Barbie dolls.

"What do you want?" I asked, trying to stand my ground. That was a bad question because she obviously wanted to make my social life miserable.

If there was one thing I was aware of when it came to dealing with bullies, it was that they feed on fear.

"You got me in detention!" She hollered.

"What you did got you in detention," I snapped.

"Oooh, someone is becoming a huge blabbermouth. I've got tons of things to do and wasting my precious time on a freak like you isn't one of it. Have a dry and sticky day," she responded and bounced away with her minions.
I went back to my locker and tried unlocking it; I opened it but then, my hand was stuck to the handle like someone put glue on it and it was none other than Nicole!

Arrgh! I freaked out but still I couldn't get loose, the glue was firm to the extreme. Some students began to laugh at me and take pictures until Arthur finally came to my rescue.

I had no clue about what that glue contained but whatever it was, it made my skin so dry, rough, and grody.

I ignored every single word she said to me that day and ignored everything she did to me. I believed that if I showed no possible reaction like she expected me to, she would eventually quit.

                      ***
I got home that day thinking mostly about my acting career.

My dad's friends, Dale and Patrick, managed to get me into the auditions.

I had prayed to God but somehow, I wasn't feeling that peace that often accompanied God's approval of my requests, that assurance, that joy. Nevertheless, because I wanted so badly to make my dreams come true, I forced myself to stay calm and I went on with my plans.

I had been rehearsing the scripts for days.

A lot of people were present for the audition than I expected and much more people chased just one role each; a heck of a crowd were as well after my role and that was my greatest fear.

Patrick had helped me with my demo reel and headshot which was somewhat not impressive, mostly because I wasn't like the others—experienced and trained.
I didn't want to squander my chances for a callback due to separating my resume from my headshot and so I neatly stapled them together.

I as well warmed up before the auditions—from vocal exercises to stretching.
I did my best to avoid going over the time limit and by convention, I was asked to direct my speech to the audition panel; I was asked by them to interact with them. My knowledge about auditions was only superficial. I didn't know what I was doing!

I was being called out from the back of the stage to come out front and I was the last person to audition. It seemed as if, being the very last person to audition after so much stalling, they simply re-considered me and wanted to give me a minor chance.

I started off by introducing myself and my role and then I began acting a monologue.

I tried my best to pull out every single muscle plus acting talent I had in me for just the audition and I almost was discouraged by the distractions of the casting directors and everyone involved in production. They were either on their phones or they would exist every minute. I had to stay strong and focused.

Few hours later, the auditions were over and I was proud of myself.

In few days, the results were out and unfortunately... I wasn't assigned any part to play in the movie, not even an extra! Hardwork doesn't pay off afterall.

I became so pale and majorly disappointed. How did it happen? Or rather, how did it not happen? Right when I got the news, I began to shed tears.

I left where I was, to call my dad and to make matters worse, he showed no concern about what happened or how crushed I felt; he ended the call saying, "Dale will fix it."

I also mulled over why God wasn't there when I most needed Him. I had tons of unbearable thoughts rushing through my head. I wondered if God heard but chose not to answer or maybe He didn't even hear at all.

As I was about taking a taxi back home from where I and Dale had met, he approached me and said, "I'm so sorry that you weren't included in the play. I did my best. If you would agree to come to my house by 6pm tomorrow, I'll be sure to help you work some things out."

"Okay," I struggled to gather some faith.

"Now cheer up baby girl."

                      ***
I was on my phone chatting when a text came in from Emlyn. "Heyyy, I'm so sorry about what happened that day. There's just so much I need to explain to you and that can't happen virtually, which is why I'll be seeing you in the next few minutes."

"Okay... Where?"

"At your place. I'm on my way."

I changed my outfit, I dunno why, fixed my hair, wore my slippers and headed to the living room. Immediately, I heard a knock on the door and my heart skipped. So quick?

I opened up and it was Arthur.

"Arthur?!"

"Hi."

"What?!... Snap! Yes!" I exclaimed in sudden realisation, slapping my forehead, "I asked you to come over."

"Uh, yes you did," he answered and entered the house. "Okay, your place is dope."

"Yeahhh, you should go now."

"Huh?"

"I mean, you probably have some sciencey gizmo to work on."

"True, but my friend needs a shoulder to cry on," he said solemnly, knowing I had every hope built in that audition. I fell on the couch next to him and equally fell on my face. "I'm really sorry." He said and sat on the opposite couch. Arthur tried to cheer me up.

"Okay, here's a joke."

"Listening," blandly, I said.

"What do computers eat for breakfast?... Microchips!"

"I'm waiting for the joke."

"Come on, Steph, that is the joke," he pouted.

"So, that's how you whites define a joke. Chai."

"Chai?" He said weirdly, "Don't chai me... You're the one who's chai... that's one of the best jokes I've got. I suppose you guys invent more hilarious jokes in your country," he rolled his eyes and I sniggered.
"Who cares if you didn't get the role? That's the least of auditions that are gonna pop up this month. There's always a next time and I still think you're the best actress ever." He smiled. "You just need two things right now—keep training and keep trying."

"Thanks," I smiled back. "Well, that guy Dale I told you about, asked me to see him in his house by 6pm tomorrow. He wants to help. Would you come with me?"

"Sure, anything for you."

As we proceeded, another knock came in and I panicked. Arthur was confused.

I went for the door and sluggishly opened it narrowly, sticking my head out to answer. Emlyn stood waving and smiling.

"Can I come in?"

"Well... Uh... I actually need to do something private right now. Wrong timing. Buh-bye."

He pushed the door that I was attempting to shut.

"Woah, don't do that."

Suddenly, Arthur heard and came to the door and peeped at Emlyn's face outside.

"Emlyn Sanders?!"

"Arthur Stevens?!"

"Why are you here?!" They chorused.