Ben's Final Performance

Buckle up y'all, this is a long one. Just look at the scroll bar-

---------------------------------------

Third Person's P.O.V.

Age: 45

The insistent ringing of an alarm clock broke through the peaceful morning. It droned on for a few minutes before Ben turned it off. He sat up in bed soon after. Raising his arms above his head and stretching. Ben then threw his legs over his side of the bed and shuffled closer to his nightstand. On said nightstand lay his phone. It vibrated every now and again indicating a new notification. Ben didn't even have to check to know what they were about.

"Today's the day," he thought.

Ben spent another few minutes staring into space. His body language all too telling of how he was feeling. At least it would be to anyone who was particularly close to him. Especially his wife. Speaking of, just as Ben was going to get up, Kai's side of the bed shifted and her arms soon snaked around her husband's waist. Gently keeping him in bed a little longer.

Kai pecked Ben's cheek in greeting and murmured, "Morning baby wolf."

"Morning beautiful," Ben replied.

"You're upset."

"Maybe a little."

"It's okay to feel that way," Kai stated, planting another kiss on her husband's cheek, "especially considering what's happening today."

Ben didn't respond. Instead, he let a short silence fall over the two of them. After which, Ben slowly stood up and Kai's arms slid off of him. She watched him walk over to their bathroom and shut the door. It closed a little harsher than Ben intended but Kai took no offence. She only sighed in understanding and got herself out of bed when she heard the shower running.

"Is daddy okay?" Gwennie asked as soon as Kai opened her bedroom door.

"He will be," Kai said.

-page break-

The morning went by quickly as Ben soon found himself packing things into his car. By the time he was done, his entire backseat was full of costumes, ballet shoes and other supplies. The passenger seat also held quite a few items. This was the heaviest he's packed for the charity dance show in a while.

"Do you really have to go now?" Gwennie asked, looking at her father.

"You know how it is princess," Ben said, "but I'll come see you during the intermission."

"Promise?" Gwennie asked holding out her pinkie finger.

"Promise," Ben affirmed, linking his pinkie finger the much smaller one of his daughter.

"Do you really have to make dad pinkie promise every year?" Kenny asked.

"Yes," Gwennie answered.

Kai and Ben shared a light chuckle before turning to each other.

"You got everything?" Kai asked.

Ben nodded.

"Then I won't keep you any longer," Kai said, "See you later baby wolf."

"Bye dad!" Kenny and Gwennie yelled as Ben got into his car.

"Bye kiddos," Ben said, starting the ignition.

He soon shifted gears and reversed out of the driveway. Once on the road, Ben looked back at his family and found that they were waving at him. He smiled slightly and waved back at them before driving off. He cruised in near-silence until he reached the theatre. Arriving several hours before call time as per usual.