TWENTY-ONE

COURTNEY'S LOWER BACK FOUND ITS SUPPORT FROM THE NURSES' STATION

COURTNEY'S LOWER BACK FOUND ITS SUPPORT FROM THE NURSES' STATION. Her arms were crossed over each other, with one of her fingers tapping against it. She bit on the inside of her mouth as she watched all of the interns gathered in front of Izzie Stevens. Apparently, she had organised a contest to make them fall back in love with their profession, so they were going to be in Izzie's care that day. Peter, Emily, Rebekah and Samuel stood together, huddled together. From time to time, Peter would glance over at Lexie, who pretended to not notice his eyes on her. Her smile couldn't be hidden though. His eyes slid a bit farther, finding his resident. His body became frigid once she was looking in their direction — or it seemed that way.

"She looks mad." Peter whispered.

Emily's eyes flickered from Dr. Stevens to her friend. She seemed like one of the only interns who was actually paying attention. The rest were mostly talking with their friends, taking this little speech as break-time. Her eyebrows were furrowed, "Who?"

Peter nodded his head towards their resident, who had been joined by Alex Karev, "Dr. Grey. She looks mad, doesn't she? What if she knows? Don't you find it suspicious that I've been put on scut all week? She totally knows."

Rebekah rolled her eyes, peeling her banana in the meantime, "She doesn't. Stop worrying about it. If you talk about it one more time, I swear." Thunder was striking loudly in her eyes, making Peter shiver. Rebekah was quite intense sometimes and her eyes, her eyes, could put a whole army down.

"You would be worried too!"

Samuel flipped through his small notebook, "Yeah, no, pretty sure you are the only one who would freak out as much as you are right now when dating your boss' sister. Besides, are you really sure that Dr. Grey cares? She doesn't strike me as the person to punish someone for dating her sister."

"Well! You don't know that!"

"Whatever you say."

Peter looked over at his resident once more, hiding his shaking hands behind his back. It hadn't been long since he and Lexie had gotten together. They had gotten closer as friends over the past couple of months. The two of them studying together in empty hallways, sharing meals, having a drink at Joe's, walking home together; all small moments which were the catalyst for their budding feelings.

Peter Allen was the one who fell first. When they had gone to Harvard together, she had stood out from the crowd and he had developed a quite superficial crush on her, liking her because she was pretty. Who would've thought they would've found their way back to each other? It didn't take long before his feelings bubbled up to the surface. But, he was scared. Scared of being rejected and scared of getting into trouble with his resident, since she was Lexie's sister after all. However, after drinking a little bit too much one evening, it didn't take long before a love filled confession escaped his lips. What had been even more surprising was when Lexie had put her hands around his neck, pulling his face towards hers.