FOUR

COURTNEY WAS TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT SHE SHOULD EAT FOR DINNER

COURTNEY WAS TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT SHE SHOULD EAT FOR DINNER. She was standing in the aisle with all sorts of frozen food, but her eyes were trained on the section of fish. She wanted to prepare an actual nice meal for herself this week, since she had seen on her schedule that she didn't have to work as late on Wednesday — which meant that she could do some cooking without wanting to throw the pan across the room, because it took so long. Her fingers were tapping against the handle of the shopping cart as she went over all the possible food combinations in her head. The rest of her cart was filled with meals that were ready in a couple of minutes, since she was too tired most of the time to cook for herself. Different kinds of coffee flavours had been thrown in there as well, just as snacks, bottles of water and even some fruit so that she could feel like she was a functioning adult.

After much deliberation, she opened the door, letting the cold air hit her in the face. She grabbed a packet of salmon, which was put in the cart along with all the rest. She pushed the cart further down the store, with her lower arms leaning on the handle as her eyes scanned over the left and right side of every aisle. Here and there, she grabbed things that she really didn't need, but they ended up in her cart anyway. She should really write up a list with only the essentials, because that stopped her — most of the time — from buying useless things. Back when she was still living with her sister and two roommates, there had been more than a handful of times where she came home from the supermarket with a whole bag of things that hadn't been on the list.

Now, that she lived on her own and only had to buy groceries for herself, that little habit had gotten ten times worse. Who would berate her now for buying yet another packet of gum, when there were already five or more packets stacked somewhere in a cupboard. Certainly not Courtney Grey. The girl in question crouched down in front of the hygiene section, searching for the shampoo and conditioner she always used. "Found you." She mumbled to herself as she grabbed a couple. Her hand also gravitated towards the deodorants — which again she had plenty of at home — and placed some in her cart.

She was about to travel further, when a familiar female voice stopped her, "Courtney? Is that you?" Ivory Simmons came walking up, carrying a shopping basket in the crook of her arm. She greeted the blonde with a warm and kind smile. It had been months since the two had last seen each other, with both of them being too busy to meet and catch up.

"Ivory?"

"Ah, at least you still remember me. Here I was fearing that you wouldn't recognize who I was anymore, but I'm saved from that humiliation," Ivory joked as she repositioned the basket to avoid hurting her arm. "It's been so long! How have you been? I never thought that I would run into you at the grocery store. What a coincidence, huh?"

They walked through the shop together, "I've been good, actually. Really good. I was in a bit of a dark spot last year, but I'm fine now. I actually moved out a couple of weeks ago and it's been really nice, living on my own. And what about you? How are you? I'm so sorry for not contacting you sooner. I, just, kept forgetting about it."