TWENTY-TWO

COURTNEY WAS STARING OUT OF THE WINDOW

COURTNEY WAS STARING OUT OF THE WINDOW. Not that you could see much: it was pitch black outside. Sometimes, she could see movement outside coming from the trees planted out in the front yard. Her fingers were playing with Meredith's light brown duvet. Her legs were crossed over each other as she sat on the bed, waiting for her sister to return. With Courtney and Mark deciding to go public — finally — came the obligation to tell their friends and loved ones. Courtney had realized she really did not care — or well tried to — about what other people thought, but her friends?

That was an entirely different story.

First on the list had been her sister.

The door creaked open again as Meredith had pushed it open with her shoulder. She tried to not spill any of the hot liquid as she tried to hold onto both mugs. Courtney moved forward, holding out one of her hands. Her nail tapped against the ceramic in a nervous manner. Meredith settled in on her bed, sipping from her coffee. "So, what did you want to tell me? I assume it's something big, because you look like you're about to puke any moment," Meredith's eyes were on her. "Don't do it on my bed though."

Courtney rolled her eyes. "I—" Why was this so hard to say? All she had to do was tell her sister who she had been seeing and that she was happy. What was so difficult about that? A part of her just wanted to bolt out of the room, but she needed to do this. She no longer wanted to keep secrets from the people she cared about.

She cleared her throat, sitting up straighter. Now or never, she thought. Courtney looked at Meredith and jumped into the deep-end. "I've been seeing someone. I'm happy and... and I just wanted you to know."

Meredith leaned against the headboard, "I figured as much. Took you long enough to tell me though. Did you think I was going to be upset that you have a boyfriend? Just because I am dark and cloudy doesn't mean that you can't be happy."

"What?"

"Huh, what?"

Courtney's mouth was wide open. She knew? "You knew!?"

Meredith took another sip, nearly burning her tongue. "We all knew, Court. You aren't the best at hiding the marks on your neck, you know. And we all saw the love bites on your chest that one time," Courtney's hand flew to her mouth. "You seem to have caught a good one then by the looks of it. He is good, right? Am I finally going to know who it is?"

Here we go.

"Mark Sloan."

Meredith blinked.

Silence.

"Mark Sloan?"

"Mark Sloan."

More silence.

Meredith looked around the room, trying to figure out what she should say. Her eyes settled back on her younger sister. "That explains a lot actually," Meredith shifted slightly. "Is it just sex or?"