EIGHT

THE HALLS OF SEATTLE GRACE WERE FILLED WITH LAUGHTER

THE HALLS OF SEATTLE GRACE WERE FILLED WITH LAUGHTER. A single tear streamed down Courtney's face, which she quickly wiped away. "As if the bags under my eyes weren't telling enough. Now I'm even laughing at your dumb jokes." Courtney said, taking another sip of her fifth coffee that day. She had had the night shift meaning that she was running on very little sleep at the moment. That paired with the fact that she hadn't been sleeping very well the past month made itself utterly visible on her face. The bags under her eyes could be spotted from a mile away.

Eva Romero, who was walking by her side, scoffed. With Paisley off in Cleveland saving lives, Eva had become her confidant (outside of the people that she had began her internship with) at the hospital. After the scrub nurse had saved the blonde from further embarrassing herself in front of the entire hospital, the two women had become quite good friends. "Hey! People love my jokes. Maybe you just don't have a sense of humor? Ever thought of that, huh?" She suddenly scrunched her eyebrows as she looked at the cup in her hands. She held it farther away from her to inspect it. "Has it always been red?"

"What?" Courtney got confused by the sudden change of the conversation. She closed her eyes for a second and went with her hand through her hair. It took her brain a while to register everything. When she was working, energy flowed through her body, but when she wasn't out there saving lives that was something totally different. "It's been red for weeks, hasn't it? Didn't they change it after the old supplier got fired after that scandal?"

"Right, do you remember what happened?"

Courtney gave her a look. "No? Why would I? I can only remember that much, you know. The old coffee wasn't that good anyway. It was drinkable, but not even as close to being good as this one," She took another sip. "We really all drank that crap thinking it was good. Shows how sleep deprivation can mess with someone's brain."

"Maybe he put drugs in the coffee or something. I mean even you with your insane coffee addiction thought it was acceptable and drank it every day," Eva replied, looking like she had just cracked a hard riddle. That look on her face quickly turned into a kind and warm smile directed at one of her colleagues walking by. "Now, that we're talking about coffee. Have you thought about it? Are you going to go?"

"Look, I appreciate you and Ivory trying to set me up with guys, but I really don't need it. I'm doing fine on my own. Besides, I'm not really in the mood to go have coffee with some science nerd." Courtney revealed, shrugging her shoulders in the meantime. For the last couple of weeks, Eva and Ivory (well, mostly the latter) had been trying to set Courtney up with some eligible bachelors. The blonde had rejected every single one of them.

"But don't you love science as well? I mean you are a doctor? I also clearly remember you going on and on about how you were so great at biology and chemistry in high school. Never had anything lower than a B. You —"

"Oh, stop it, you know what I mean." Courtney massaged her forehead, feeling an upcoming headache. She really wished that she could turn back time and stop Eva from ever finding out about her feelings for Mark. If only she could stop her past self from looking like a fool in love that one single day. Then, Eva would not have figured it out and Courtney would be able to suffer with her feelings in silence. However, life didn't work that way, so here they were.