TWENTY-THREE

THEIR HANDS WERE INTERLOCKED, SWINGING BACK AND FORTH AS THEY WALKED

THEIR HANDS WERE INTERLOCKED, SWINGING BACK AND FORTH AS THEY WALKED. After the two of them had revealed their secret relationship a couple of weeks ago, they no longer had to time their departure, since they could walk to work together. It felt nice. It felt easy. Most of all it felt normal. They liked ordinary things like arriving at work hand in hand or giving each other a kiss before separating their ways. It wasn't until they had it that they realized how much they had needed it.

If only they had gotten to do this sooner.

Courtney lifted her hand to her face, getting rid of a stray hair in her face. Mark's hand went along with hers, "We're still on for tonight right?" Mark asked, stuffing his other hand in the pocket of his pants. "I made reservations for Canlis."

The two of them had been trying to make it a tradition of going out somewhere every Friday — well at least once a month. One day, Courtney had gotten sick of spending time with her boyfriend inside the same four walls. So, she had dragged him out Alki beach, where they had sat down, watching the water push and pull. Courtney's head had rested on Mark's shoulder, while he had rubbed warmth into her back. Ever since then, they had made dates on Friday night a tradition.

The week before they had ridden the ferry to Bainbridge Island and back. They had made a whole day out of it — Courtney had gotten to her 80 hours that week and Mark had managed to get a day off. It had been wonderful. From beginning to end, Courtney hadn't been able to get a smile off of her face. Mark had decided to take reigns on their plans that day and she had been thoroughly surprised.

Mark and Courtney had stood on the bow of the boat, looking at the water. He had stood behind her, his arms wrapped around with his head resting on her shoulder. The wind had been blowing through their clothes, making them slightly shiver, but they hadn't noticed. When they had arrived at Bainbridge Island, they had explored the parks and the stores close to the Ferry dock, before they had gone back home.

Mark had even bought Courtney a small gift as a late 6 months anniversary gift.

A gold bracelet peaked out from under her coat, "Oh, yeah, that's fine. Eva told me the lamb chops are amazing there."

"Mmh, did she tell you about the view? That's what sold me when I asked her for a recommendation. The view over Lake Union according to her is to die for. It's even prettier at night, she said. I managed to get us a table right next to the window too." Over the course of their relationship, Courtney had learned that Mark was a sucker for a pretty view. The food at a restaurant could be absolutely terrible, but if it had a pretty view, he could be tempted to go there again just for that.

And yes, on multiple occasions he had mentioned she was the prettiest view of all.

"Are you sure you're going to make it though? Your facial transplant is today, right?"

Mark nodded, "It is, but we should still make it. I got us the latest time slot, so we should be able to make it. And we can always reschedule if we can't. We can just order in then or you can always make your special lasagne again," He looked down at her. "I like watching you cook."