SIX

COURTNEY COULDN'T IMAGINE THE PAIN OF SEEING YOUR CHILD HURT

COURTNEY COULDN'T IMAGINE THE PAIN OF SEEING YOUR CHILD HURT. How heartwrenching it must be to see your child end up in the emergency room. She couldn't imagine the pain Bailey must be feeling right now. After a bookshelf had fallen on top of Tuck, his father had brought him to the emergency room. Tuck had needed an operation and nobody had any certainty about how the future was going to be. It must have been absolutely heartbreaking to not know if your child was going to pull through or to have to live in a world where your little baby was no longer with you. Courtney didn't want to wish that pain onto anyone — not even her worst enemy.

So, she understood why Bailey had looked for the help of the faith healer, Elizabeth Archer, to help with her son's healing process. Everyone in the hospital had been a little sceptic about the woman's so called healing powers — even Courtney had her doubts about the woman's ability to heal people. However, she didn't judge. Everyone had a belief system (some more misguided than others), but who she to say that they couldn't believe what they wanted to believe? — but until then everyone person that she had taken care of had pulled through. So who was to say that it wouldn't work with Tuck? If the possibility was there, why not use it? Every little bit helped — no matter how small.

To offer support to a fellow colleague and friend in trouble, people had gathered outside of Tuck's room in the pediatric ICU, where Elizabeth Archer was currently performing her healing ritual. Bailey and Tucker were holding each others' hand, their eyes closed, praying that this was going to work. It was silent outside with everyone's eyes trained on the scene happening right in front of them. Courtney was standing next to Mark, their hands almost touching. The warmth of his skin was making her hand tingle. Her ocean blue eyes glanced up at him for a short second, before she looked back at the couple in front of her who were barely holding on.

Mark had felt her eyes on him, but by the time that he turned his head to meet in the middle, she had already looked away. His eyes glanced down to see how little space there was left between their hands. He could easily move his hand a bit to the right and hold her hand in his. Not even sure why his mind had gone in that direction, he shook his head slightly and focused back on what was happening in front of them. This wasn't the first time that he had thought of doing something weirdly romantic, while he was around Courtney by the way. He didn't know when it had started. However, instead of going through with what his heart was telling him to do, his brain got the best of him.

Whatever the hell made him think like this would surely go away, he thought. He liked to blame it on the fact that he hadn't slept with anyone recently. Surely, that was the reason for why he wanted to do these things. He had never really had female friends, so maybe this always happened? He honestly had no clue, but he wasn't going to rack his brain about it. It was easier to just forget about it. He wasn't about to actually do what he sometimes thought of. He just didn't want to screw up one of the only friendships he had in this place by crossing the line.

He didn't want to lose her.

Once the ritual was done, the space between their hands got bigger. Courtney had taken a step more to the side, rubbing her arm with her hand in the meantime. She glanced over at Lexie, who had noticed her and smiled at her brightly. The corner of Courtney's lip turned up, before she looked away to face Mark. "Don't forget to pick me up at ten, okay? I will actually kill you if you bail on me." The blonde said, squinting her eyes at him.