ELEVEN

LIFE HAD DEFINITELY CHANGED FOR COURTNEY

LIFE HAD DEFINITELY CHANGED FOR COURTNEY. Ever since that moment on the balcony, nothing was the same anymore. Mark Sloan and Courtney Grey no longer looked at each other the same. Even how they acted around each other had changed. Their relationship, their dynamic had taken a turn; now they were speeding down a lane with no possibility of going back to how they used to be. However, all of that didn't mean that they didn't like this change. On the contrary, they had been waiting for it and had welcomed it with open arms. Life was much easier now as well. They didn't have to worry about a gentle touch being taken the wrong way or being caught staring for just a second too long. The two were standing on the same rope, hand in hand.

Courtney, also, had to admit that the secret kisses were quite exhilarating.

"Is it true, Dr. Grey?" A voice from behind her spoke up, making her heart pick up its pace. Another thing that had changed was her becoming a bit more paranoid. She couldn't help but be more on edge when someone asked her a question like that. Mark and Courtney had yet to talk about where they stood relationship wise, but for now they were keeping it a secret from everyone. Courtney turned her head around, finding Samuel Young with his fellow interns with eyes full of curiosity.

Courtney furrowed her eyebrows and stopped walking, "Is what true? You gotta be more specific, Young. I can't read minds."

"The new rankings of the teaching hospitals coming online today. Everyone's talking about it. We're gonna be high, right? I mean, we're at Seattle Grace." He replied, looking at her like she had all the answers. Rebekah, Emily and Peter all had the same look on their young faces. It seemed like they were looking up at their mother — which she basically was. She was raising them in a way, raising them to be top surgeons.

"Stop looking at me like that!" Courtney said, waving her hand in front of their faces. The relationship she had with them was certainly different from her fellow residents. She was probably the only one who was so close with her interns. Everybody had different teaching styles. "I can't look in the future, guys. If you guys want to know that badly, I'll find you guys after they come online. Are you that interested in rankings?"

Sam scratched the back of his head, "I mean, well, who isn't? I think we would all rather work at the number one hospital than a number twenty right? Everybody's got pride, don't they? Imagine having to tell old classmates that you're doing your internship at a low ranked hospital."

Courtney slightly nodded with her head as she started walking again. Instead of going back to work, the interns followed her like little ducklings. They made their way down the hallways as a team with the leader at the front. The corners of her mouth tugged slightly upwards when she caught sight over everyone huddled around one of the computers at a nurses' station. After catching Mark's gaze, she turned on to her interns. "Alright, now it's time to get back to work, guys." She said, crossing her arms over her chest

The four of them nodded, although with a couple of sighs here and there. Courtney moved back a little and motioned the way with her arms. As Peter Allen went passed her, his hazel colored puppy eyes stared at her softly, "There's really no way that you'll let me change? Dr. Erwin really doesn't like me. He's been mean all day." He even went as far as pouting his lips, hoping to gain some sympathy.