TWELVE

A DROP OF WATER FELL DOWN ON COURTNEY'S HAIR

A DROP OF WATER FELL DOWN ON COURTNEY'S HAIR. It went by unnoticed. She hadn't even felt it. A couple of steps further and the spot had already dried up again. Unbeknownst to everyone, it had been happening for a couple of days. At the moment, it wasn't anything big though, so nobody knew that there was a bigger problem brewing in the ceiling. The issue that Courtney did know about was Eva's, "Really, if this is a look into parents' life then I'm gladly gonna decline ever being a mom. The little kid kept crying whenever I tried to go to bed. I barely had any sleep. Honestly, props to all parents out there." The scrub nurse said as she rubbed into her eyes.

Ivory Simmons' — Courtney's friend and Eva's girlfriend — younger cousin was staying with the two of them for a couple days. Ivory's aunt and uncle were in town for a little get-away for a couple of days. They didn't want to leave their two year old back home so many hours away, so they had asked Ivory if she wouldn't mind babysitting, while they enjoyed a carefree holiday which they hadn't been able to do in almost three years. However, the little girl missed her parents and didn't like to be left alone, making her cry if you tried to leave the room.

Courtney patted her on the shoulder, "I'm sure that you'll get used to it and if not? It's not like Ivory's cousin is going to stay with you guys forever. Soon, you'll get your sleep back."

"Well, let's hope so. Thank god that I get to go home after this speech from the Chief. I can barely keep my eyes open anymore," Eva yawned again. In the distance, Meredith, Derek, Izzie and Alex were walking together and seemed to be having a pretty heated discussion. Derek even felt the need to involve Courtney by pointing in her direction after having seen her. "Do they know?"

"About what?"

"About what? Really? There's nothing that comes to mind that you know that you haven't told them." Eva suggested, raising a single eyebrow.

Courtney's blue eyes quickly widened. Her heart skipped a beat. It couldn't, right? They had been so careful this past month as they tested the waters of their relationship. The blonde loudly exhaled as she went with her hands through her hair. She wasn't ready to reveal their secret yet. She needed some more time. "You think they know? They can't know. I'm not ready, I—"

The group of four caught up with them, "Derek is trying to put us out on the street." Izzie fumed as she crossed her arms over her chest. Another glare was shot his way. She had been in for a surprise that morning. After getting out of the shower, she entered her room, only to find Derek in there with measuring tape. Apparently, her room was going to be his office when she moved out.

"Wait, what is he trying to do?" The look on her face was a mixture of confusion and anger. She couldn't believe that he had the nerve to make Meredith's — not his — roommates move out, just because he recently packed his things and came to live in his girlfriend's house. She also had an inkling that this hadn't been talked about with Meredith.