jude bellingham.

complimentary

Everyone has their ways of affection, to go about brightening their partner's day. Opening up to your spouse while leaving no room for privacy; choosing to be with that person over your friend group; enjoying an early lie-in when everything else around you seemed like background in a movie or book. The possibilities were endless, and Y/N and Jude settled for compliments—complimenting one another, that is. The concept appeared plain and dust—nothing out of the ordinary—at first glance, but there was more to it with another glance or two.

It was a simple yet big part of their relationship. From the outset it was something—complementing one another—that they wanted to get into, to have it go beyond being a habit between them. A habitual act rather than an occasional gesture. There was neither a physical gain nor reward from doing so though it made each other, and they made one another feel good about themselves. This applied both ways; giving and receiving. Small appreciation spread throughout the day, simply making the act of complimenting or being complimented more than sincere and genuine.

And at first they were timid around the subject, despite being the ones to suggest it. Jude struggled to receive compliments that didn't revolve around his appearance. Every compliment received beyond his appearance or physique was accepted with surprise or near denial. He couldn't tell whether this was because his thoughts were narrow for how he perceived himself or everyone else just decided to focus on what they could only see rather than learn to see over time.

They, unknowingly, created the expectation that their compliments had to be bold and entertaining and loud, mistaking quantity for quality. But with time passing and their relationship constantly growing and developing, Jude and Y/N came to realise that compliments weren't proportional to appreciation and gratitude. In a way, the meaning and effort behind a compliment were subjective. A compliment remained an act of appreciation when received, whether big or small.

Rather than focusing on quantity, they chose to focus on effort placed within a compliment.

So compliments were given and how they were expressed varied on every level. There were the looks, head tilted back in amazement and admiration or an easy smile; the facial expressions with the gesture, the playful grin with the thumbs up when the other asked for approval or the finger tingles to express enthusiasm; and the words, comments made on appearance, character and personality were always accepted. Those were Jude and Y/N's preferred ones; verbal and clear to never come across confusion and misjudgement.

"You look nice today," Jude said to Y/N as he walked into the bathroom where she was brushing her teeth by the sink. He let out a small laugh when she smiled through the mirror with toothpaste foaming in her mouth.

Y/N rinsed her mouth before lifting her head again. Confused, she replied, "I just woke up."

He approached her from behind and wrapped an arm around her waist, resting his face against the side of her face. "Then that says something about you, doesn't it?"

And the receptions, too, varied as did the giving. From shock, shyness and gratitude to being touched, upbeat and feeling noticed by the other. I mean, clearly, Jude and Y/N played their parts well when it came to compliments because that's what they were for, right? To exert positivity from the other; to replace any bad with good; to acknowledge the other for who they were; and to share a sense of admiration, love and kindness in the relationship.

She caved in closer to his side. What Y/N felt at that moment? It was hard to think straight as she returned his appreciation for her with her own. "Thank you."

────────────

Requested by sodaforwhenyousad

Okay, I can't lie, I kinda like this one. This idea was kinda spontaneous so take it as you will. I hope this is enjoyed.

Also, thank you for 70k reads!