jadon sancho.

blessed wings

Sat on the lower steps of the stage where they lifted the trophy, surrounded by fallen confetti on the grass, she observed her surroundings in awe. Fans celebrating the grand win in the stands; tears of shock and euphoria shared amongst those dressed in red; signs of victory through medals, the trophy and awards of all kinds. It was a calming sight to view—witnessing the result of hard work play out. Man United, a long time in the waiting, was a product of victory, and that wouldn't change for a moment.

Winning was something that Y/N came to familiarise herself with even before she came into football, something that she always aimed for and never settled for any less. And she did just that every time she came onto the pitch. But winning a title for her club—winning the Champions League—was something new, something different in her experience in football. All those previous wins and awards she received added to Man United's win at the final, and she only came to realise it once the referee blew the final whistle.

She fell out of her daze when a phone screen appeared in her face, laughing softly when she noticed Jadon, who sat on the higher step behind her, in the frame. With little effort, she threw up a rather lethargic peace sign before he moved his phone away.

Jadon scoffed out a laugh as he watched back the short video he took. "You look unbothered for someone who just won the Champions League final," he said, shaking his head. He knew that his girlfriend was blunt in facial expression, whether on purpose or not, but he expected a bit more for such an occasion. "Oh, let's not forget about being named Player of the Tournament! Let's just gloss past that fact."

She placed her hands on his knees, letting them settle there. "I'm just tired, that's all." While true Y/N's words failed to hold to the whole truth. Everything that Jadon mentioned along with the overall victory that they gained on this very pitch was rather overwhelming for her to take in all at once. She required a moment to take in her surroundings—elegant and poetic—and her situation. Only gaining the title of a champion no longer than an hour ago changed her football achievements by a long mile. For her age and experience, time was needed to let everything sync in.

Placing his phone down by his side, he commented, "This won't add to anything, but--" Y/N couldn't see what he was doing with her back facing him. She went to speak only to feel herself relax when Jadon placed his medal over her head. "--there you go!"

He recorded his girlfriend once again, his smile growing when her own grew in size. She admired the extra gold swinging from her neck, even fluffing her hair for extra effect. Y/N hummed softly, turning her head side to side to get all of her angles. "I don't look half as bad, you know."

Jadon wrapped his arms around her shoulders, making her lean into his touch further. He tilted her head up so they were making eye contact. Direct and comforting. "Don't worry. You look amazing regardless." He leaned down to kiss her cheek, taking a picture at the perfect moment to capture his girlfriend experiencing a small moment of euphoria.

Sharing this win with their teammates and the fans was one thing, but sharing this victory with one another—as a couple—was another level of success for them. Victory found in partnership. Whether or not others wanted to view it in this way, the title of a couple and teammates coexisted with one another, and that in itself was comforting and easing for the two.

Not only could they share this moment, but also the emotions that tagged along with the experience. Both Y/N and Jadon could stand alone and say they were individuals, proud of their achievements, which they did. However, they also chose the alternative approach: they came into the competition together and emerged victorious together rather than alone. And because of this, the prize was not only the title of champions but also the common ground of pride and support for one another, in and beyond their relationship.

────────────

For amirah2drippy

For future imagines, I want to write them with the intent of them being gender-neutral [using they/them pronouns for the reader, fewer body specifics, etc.] just so then I can make them more inclusive. However, if you're requesting and you want specifics then just specify.