kylian mbappe.

out of reach

A night in Paris was accompanied by a party downtown, elegant yet comfortable for all. A room occupied by important figures couldn't phase one themselves. There was a feeling of familiarity for everyone in the large hall, dining and networking complementing the business aspect of things.

In attendance, too, was Kylian, dressed in the formal attire of a suit and bow tie. Approached by friends, football executives, and teammates he made his way through the night with ease, sharing a few laughs and discussions. He found himself surrounded by others, despite accompanying himself to the event. He found company and the heavy lack of it. He wasn't accompanied by a significant other, and they weren't in attendance simply because he didn't have one.

In recent days, and a few years down the line, did Kylian leave himself with the label of being single. Given opportunities and responsibilities as a young adult, he used that as an excuse for his solitude, even though he didn't want it to. It wasn't an excuse he could keep up with, because, in truth, it wasn't a valid one to begin with. Kylian's excuse to be single—to fall short of exclusive affection and zest—was that the other person in mind remained out of his reach. Or, at least, they were in his reach, but he chose not to reach out. Not because he couldn't, more just he shouldn't.

Straying away from his teammates' conversation he noticed them some distance across the hall, his focus preferring the sight over the discussion. In the large hall, they were easy to spot amongst the others, but maybe that was just Kylian. They sat, alone yet in solace, by a round table amongst others. Dressed for the occasion did they custom their attire to their liking, carrying identity and the visual lack of it. Appearing friendly and personable in face and external expression had anyone approaching them, their encouraging smile pushing a conversation forward.

Glancing over their shoulder they noticed Kylian's gaze their way. Their encouraging smile moved towards a rested smile as they winked his way. It was almost as like their presence was extended and universal with Kylian smiling in reassurance and comfort at the silent gesture from across the hall.

They were someone to admire from afar, conserving distance in the act of appreciation. But also were they someone to witness up close, to test to see if they were an ideal image or reality. And time and time again, in the sight of Kylian, were they an ideal reality. Someone he could approach because they would welcome him into their space with open arms. Someone he could seek discussion with because they worked well with anyone, familiar and foreign.

There was a lot to seek in Y/N. To wish you could have for yourself, or the person you stood with. All that they had to offer yet Kylian did everything from afar.

Their sight fell off of Kylian when Neymar, close and with intent, approached them from behind their seat. He placed his hand on their shoulder, intertwining the pair's fingers as they lifted their own. In discussion the two were in laughter, sharing affection through a sober joke or two.

Kylian wasn't alone because had he had his responsibilities. It was an excuse rather than a reason. This other person, Y/N, who he had in mind was occupied by someone else. In friendship, in partnership and in relationship. There was no other higher position for him to settle with. They were indeed an ideal reality, but only for Neymar. For Kylian, they were simply just his ideal image of what he could share with someone in friendship, in partnership and in relationship.

He frowned as he looked away from the couple, more Y/N than Neymar, and tried to tune back into his teammate's words once again. Whatever he felt—in reality and beyond—meant nothing. He could do nothing with it. No reciprocation, a one-sided relationship, would incite rejection, and he saw no reason in laying the problem upon himself sooner than never.

────────────