trent alexander-arnold.

blue valentine

So they decided to break up.

There were difficulties, even complications, in the relationship. A lack of one thing, too much of another. Schedules that refused to align with each other, time spent together quite underwhelming for the couple. A two-way agreement—they weren't feeling themselves in the relationship. So Y/N and Trent chose to play their part before everything collapsed in front of them. It was no surprise that the two were already falling apart, best that they saved themselves from the worst.

The breakup wasn't anything too pretty. It was heartbreak, far too slow and delicate. There were tears, sad smiles and words spoken that maybe should've remained just as thoughts. But Trent and Y/N chose to end on good terms. Remain as friends, spend time together around mutual friends, letting the relationship go willingly. They understood that the wrongs out-weighted the rights. Maybe it was Trent's fault that they didn't work out in the long run, or perhaps it was Y/N's fault everything fell apart—it didn't matter. What mattered was that, eventually, they could let go of one another and move on.

Y/N wiped under her eyes for the last time. Ending on good terms didn't rule out emotions from coming through; they remained high in the bedroom. She sniffled and glanced away from Trent, eyes wandering towards his bedroom windows. "I guess I'll head out..." She went to get up until she noticed the rain outside. It was pouring hard with no sign of stopping any time soon.

"I can give you a lift— shoot," Trent ran his fingers through his locs, groaning. He didn't have to take a look to remember that his driveway was empty. "I forgot that my car is in the shop right now."

"Right." Y/N shifted on her feet in a single place, rubbing her arm. It was crazy to think that she once slept in this bedroom with so much comfort and ease. Now, she couldn't seem to find her footing, she felt awkward just being in there.

He quickly got up. "But you can stay if you want," Trent offered before clearing his throat. "I mean, like, until the rain dies down. That cool with you?"

"I'm fine with that."

The plan was to only stay until the rain calmed down, stretching time to an hour. But the rain, in fact, never stopped, simply continuing to pour, and pour, and pour with no intention of stopping. So Trent and Y/N, once again, chose to go about the day together just as they usually would, except they didn't.

Then, they would have fun when it was time to dine. Where Y/N would demonstrate how to make certain dishes to Trent, where Trent would wear the kitchen apron that she brought especially for him. Where they would go live to interact with a few others. Where they would turn up the speakers and listen to their favourite artists, somehow waltzing to Drake. Eating and cleaning up together, creating an atmosphere all too domestic and whole.

But then all of that was compromised with silence. Now, Y/N cooked in silence, the two ate in silence and Trent cleaned up in silence.

Then, the couple would take time and chill lounging in the living room. They would play games that only they would understand. They would demonstrate comedy that was all so unique to them, jokes that would have them bursting with so much euphoria. Or Y/N and Trent would fall all in one another as they shared a kiss or more, ignoring the TV as they preferred each other over anything else. And admiration, through a compliment or gaze, for one's personality, smile or kind nature always seemed to be available.

Now, the two found themselves far apart. Alone in rooms where they used to share more than enough intimacy, maintaining a distance that could always be closed. But, of course, they refused to give in.

Then, Y/N and Trent went slow and calm while preparing for bed. They would gossip a bit about their day, listening to stories with so much interest. They would continue with their business together while completing their night routines, Y/N helping Trent with his skin care. They would continue with their conversations in bed with the lights low until one's eyes began drooping.

Now, there were separate rooms to settle in. A bit of rush in their walk and words, a simple good night before retreating to their rooms. Suddenly, anything that was special had faded out.

Every gap between them could be closed. All that silence could be filled with their laughs and discussion. That feeling of being alone, even when Trent and Y/N were in the same room, could be removed if they let those gaps close in. Behind all small talk they made hid conservation that was dying to be spoken into existence. They could—and deep down, they wanted to—but they knew that they shouldn't. For two individuals that just broke up, they shouldn't fall back into it all.

There was more than just tears and sad smiles. The breakup didn't fall short of heartbreak. One that disregarded love and sincerity left behind. Felt by the minute and hour. Felt by Trent when he realised that he might have to give up his kitchen apron. Felt by Y/N when she realised that it probably would be best for her to no longer wear his jersey. Felt by the two when they realised that their days together had run low. That yes, they indeed fell out and called an end to what they were. After all this time.

The truth was that Y/N didn't have to stay, the rain only a minor inconvenience. She could have left by proposing for a friend to pick her up, but she didn't. And it was all the same with Trent; he didn't want her to leave, not right after calling things off. He could've asked a friend for a favour or hit up an uber to pick her up. But he didn't, and she refused to suggest it either. There were many solutions to their problem yet neither chose to point them out.

It was simple; they didn't want to pull away from one another. They wanted to hold onto what they could before they really had to let it go. And being at Trent's place didn't help their situation, more than enough memories hung up on the walls or in his room. Maybe there was a bit of shame to it, how one still felt some way for the other. It was, unfortunately, something that they couldn't control and that was okay. They weren't ready to walk away from all of their good despite all of their bad, that's all it was.

It was a day for the two to reminisce about the relationship with broken spirits, to think over all of the memories they've shared. The kitchen apron, his jersey—they had to leave it all behind. Since forever and always, they have had each other—universal valentines, that's all the two have known. And Y/N and Trent still were, just with blue hearts.