2.7

What was up with Tincan today?

Winter storms blew past through the following days. Snow piled high onto dilapidated buildings and streets, transforming even the sootiest part of town into a gleaming white.

Li and Ume were stuck together like ice to the cracks in the pavement, unable to be pulled apart. Conversation never ran out, with Ume's boundless questions and Li's patient answers. Some days occurred where Ume would shovel out snow, as the youth would stay swaddled in blankets; taking even sips of hot cocoa with a fluffy white fox huddled in his lap.

These mornings were particularly quiet, leaving a sweeter taste than even his favorite watered down cocoa and fruit cake.

Okay. Li would admit it. The company was nice, and as much as he denied it before—he was always a bit lonely. And Ume wasn't annoying anymore, really. Or rather, he never was to begin with; but Li decided to keep that to himself.

The thoughts passed in the fleetingly as he enjoyed the warm steam rising against his face. It was a rare day where light peeked through smooth clouds, grey skies a little brighter. Li had pulled the windows open, watching the Angel.

He wore his original, military-like uniform at home, shoveling the snow meticulously off the pathway. Li's eyes burned from the image, Ume too similar to a beacon of light. The silver hair, the white outfit, and the clean snow ultimately blinding him.

Ume turned—perhaps due to a sound or movement—catching Li off guard. For a reason unknown to Li, the Angel smiled a small smile, eyes narrowing lightly. The little beauty marks underneath his eye highlighting the fatal beauty of sharp features. After the split moment that felt like forever, he walked out of view from the window.

"???"

What...what part of his programming told him to do that??

The young man pulled the blankets tighter with question marks in the air, burying his face in soft, silver fur.

"Ao..."

"How are you so damn cute?"

"Ao, ao..."

The fox barked sleepily. It lie limp in Li's warm embrace; legs dangled in the air, motionless. Pointed ears twitched as the front door creaked open.

One tall Angel walked in, snow dusting his upright shoulders. It fell off in clumps as he pat his shoulders off stiffly.

"Li? Did the drink warm you up?"

"Mhm. Thanks, Tincan."

On that cue, Li took another long sip from the cracked mug. It had already begun to lose heat, more lukewarm than steamy.

"Why do you refuse to use the blankets and heater at night? The temperature indoors last night was below the estimated number recommended for humans to sleep in. There are increased chances of sickness and hypothermia."

"They're for the plants, ah. I've toldja this before. Last time I went without them, the freeze wiped out my little leafs over night."

"But they are not top priority."

Li did not continue, slightly peeved. They were his priority. This is how Li always worked, how he always did things before Ume appeared. Why couldn't the damn Tincan drop this subject like he did with others?