3.27

"I can wait forever... if it means you'll eventually accept it."

The night grew long with an endless loop of dancing and drinking. Elijah, though enjoying the hand in his and the low whispers gracing his ears sweetly, found his energy waning quick with the crowded presence of the expansive room.

His step slowed and faltered. Elijah stared off.

"It seems we both need a break," Aisultan said, decidedly pulling Elijah away from the couples dancing and gossiping beneath the dim light.

"Perceptive."

"Anyone would be if they could see the exhaustion leaking from your frown."

Elijah shot him a quieting look. He led Aisultan through a maze of halls. Eventually, they passed through the back courtyards into the outdoor gardens.

Well-trimmed gravel paths wound around large, swaying trees. Silver plums blossomed with a pink glow. Elijah slowed down. He reached out and pulled a drooping branch close. The fragrance was a distinct floral, yet by no means overwhelming. Velvet-like petals tickled his cheek. Dew dampened his fingers as he pinched them.

"How do they bloom in this season?"

Aisultan scooped one of the few flower buds from the ground. His tail swayed and caused the remaining loose petals atop the dirt to float further away.

Elijah's heart itched—he abandoned the branch to catch up with Aisultan.

"Back then, Eli feuded with Alyssa and my often, dissenting opinion over human blood. We eventually changed our tunes—both of us could tell he felt betrayed at the time and so, we worked together and gifted this orchard of blossoms as an apology to him. He loves them dearly."

"I can imagine he does," Aisultan said, "and I imagine you do too."

"I do, but... they are not mine to love. This place is meant solely for Eli. Not me."

Elijah's chin tilted up through the crisscross of branches and sprawled petals. His figure, amongst the pink glow, flickered as if about to burst into a flurry of petals.

"Don't say things like that," Aisultan whispered. He brushed a stray hair aside from Elijah's face and tucked the flower in his hand behind Elijah's ear.

"You talk as if you don't belong here. As if you hold no attachment to this world nor a place within it. It makes me think that..."

"Think what?" Elijah asked, leaning in to catch the gorgeous pink glow reflected in Aisultan's amber, silver-drop eyes.

"That you'll one day disappear from this world—and I'll never be able to find you like I did this time."

Orchestral numbers mutely played, leaking through the mansion. Elijah traced over Aisultan's features in his mind. He followed the same motions of his brush against the canvas.

Elijah's vision blurred. Heat coursed through his eyes and dripped down his cheeks.

"I never cease to somehow hurt the people I love."

"You're too hard on yourself."

"Am I?"

"You are," Aisultan said, brushing away each tear, "and all the love in the world is here, made for you. It's just waiting patiently for you to accept it. I can wait forever... if it means you'll eventually accept it."

Elijah closed his eyes. The careful touch pressed against his skin. The warmth between them was untouched by the cool wind. He leaned up, so close their foreheads touched, and rubbed his nose against the tip of Aisultan's.

And when he opened his eyes, Elijah could only see amber glittering with silver stars. He hooked his arms around Aisultan's neck.

"Can I kiss you right now?" Elijah asked.

Fox tails sped up, thumping past his shoulders.

"There's nothing else I'd prefer to kissing you, Elijah dear."

Aisultan's lips tasted sweeter than his blood—like nectarine along a summer day. His hand found itself holding Elijah's cheek, thumbing his brow, and playing with the undone strands of hair across his forehead. A tail curled around Elijah's waist—another coiled his wrist.

His hair tangled through Elijah's fingers. Heavy breaths leaked about—brief respites from mixed saliva. When Aisultan broke the kiss first, Elijah rubbed his own lips regretfully and eyed Aisultan's.

Aisultan laughed and pecked his lips, "You can kiss me whenever you want, Elijah dear."