3.20

Until then, I'll choose to remain by your and Eli's side."

The cathedral had a warm, central glow at the foot of the goddess statue--unlike the ethereal moonlight casting down from their prior visit. All the other candles were snuffed out. A little hum echoed with a light, clean voice.

"One little bunny, down the wat'ry brook~ Two little bunnies, down the wat'ry brook–"

The priest-in-training, Lucas, sat at the forefront pew with a curved, focused squint, hands bobbing as the yarn intertwined between his hands, slowly forming a cloth piece–its function not yet revealed.

Aisultan approached with silent footsteps and tail asway, before leaning near his side and asking, "What're you doing there, kid?"

"Ah–!"

Lucas jolted up, everything in his lap falling with a harsh clatter. His calm expression immediately pinching into annoyance, "You–!!"

Elijah laughed at the harsh voice crack. The serene atmosphere disappeared in an instant.

"I told you not to call me that!"

"My, so jumpy around us–what happened there? You were so much cuter when you weren't talking~ Perhaps you're too shy about your hobbies?"

"I. Am. Not! You demons snuck up on me while I was trying to knit–"

"Oiya~ Knitting, that's fun! Elijah sews–Elijah, do you knit too?"

Elijah shook his head, "I mainly garden, sew, and cook."

Aisultan nodded and put a hand to his chin--his eyes lit up again. He sat down beside Lucas. "Do you do other things besides knitting? Cooking or gardening?"

"I do, actually." Lucas puffed out his chest, patting it, "The kids say I am an excellent baker–hey!! Why are you laughing?!"

Lucas glared at Elijah, who covered his mouth and looked to the side, shoulders shaking throughout the entire conversation. Aisultan's low laughter mixed in too, to Lucas' anger. His dismay only spurred Aisultan on. Lucas stamped his foot, huffing as he swept up his tools and yarn from the ground.

"Enough of this! What do you demons want?"

"Yes," Elijah said, composing himself, "Aisultan and I have come to ask for news regarding the human blood smuggling."

Lucas's angry tirade ended in a flash. He thought deeply before answering, "No, Father Joel has not heard any news."

"Where is Joel," Aisultan probed, eyes narrowed.

Lucas, taken aback by the intensity of the pair's seriousness, relented with a wave of his hand.

"I don't know, okay? Father Joel just told me that he'd be gone the whole night and to pray in his absence or whatever. Oh-"

Lucas covered his mouth, eyes wide at his own casual slip-up. Aisultan raised a brow, while Elijah chose to sit down. He quickly figured out Aisultan's playful streak and settled down to observe.

"Your attitude isn't very pious, brat."

"Hey–I said–you know what? Never mind. You just won't drop it. Yeah, so what? Grandpa... I mean–Father Anderson's wishes were for me to help others–the easiest way is joining the church and taking care of the other orphaned kids... like how took care of me. The Saintess... I don't care much for Her. But the affiliation lets me work with the kids so... yeah."

Lucas heaved a sigh while slouching in the pew. "Satisfied now?"

The pair looked at each other, before nodding.