4.10

"The first prince of Nanjie and his attendee has arrived."

Ordinarily, Jun disliked the days he assisted his father in welcoming guests. Such days meant he'd wake up extra early to check up on the female servants to assist them in any way possible to prepare the guest room. It also meant Jun was expected to put on the finest powders and glossy lipstick—accentuate the curves of his body in dresses that, despite all who appreciated such beauty, in his opinion only hung off his body like a limp cloth.

Jun was neutral upon dresses and skirts and such. But, to jump the cracks of condensed rooftops in servant clothes—it was as if the cage he never realized existed...had fallen away on all sides. A unique emotion, one akin to an ecstatic relief, blazed over in his carefree laughter and unrestrained conversation throughout town. And to play the night away with Minato...

Tonight, he and Minato would reconvene again.

Jun put his fist to his lip, hiding his grin from the passing servants. The servants looked confused, but unconcerned. The princess had grown a bit stranger ever since she and the Caller had spent their time together...

Jun knocked on a guest door, not bothering to fold his hands over his stomach nor smooth his dress out.

"Come in."

With a hum, Jun shut the door behind him and sat on the bed. He would cross his legs, if not for fear of ripping the dress's flowing ribbons. Amari stood by the window, combing his hair. His face appeared paler than normal with darkened eye bags.

"You look worse than when you came out of the rain like a soaked rat."

"I didn't want to dream last night, so sleep failed to find me."

"Did something happen?"

"I don't want to speak of the matter right now," Amari cut off.

Jun heeded the pleading gaze.

"Right. Let me aid you if I can."

"I will. Thank you."

"Now," Amari continued, winding the turquoise hairpin through his hair, "what brings you so early? I thought lunch was not for another few hours."

"Right, well, all major guests residing in this manor, alongside my father and my sisters—we will be sitting in for a large feast."

"Oh," Amari nodded, "today is the final day of celebration."

"Yes. An auspicious day. But it's also the day the first prince of Nanjie will arrive. I've been tasked with the job of ensuring you arrive with me in a timely manner."

Amari gave Jun an interested look. "Who tasked you with such? The servant stationed right outside my bedroom who answers all my requests save for death itself?"

"Who would have known how unpresentable you'd be without me here," Jun drawled, tracing the edge of Amari's pillowcase.

Amari chased Jun off the bed with a small lounge pillow, attempting to rein in Jun's evergrowing mischief. They chattered about anything that crossed their minds—nothing was off limits as long as they could conjure it. Throughout, the exhaustion evident in Amari's countenance lightened somewhat. And by then, Amari had put himself together enough to be an honored guest entering a grand banquet.

Without further loitering, Amari was pulled outside the manor in a new direction. The air was cleansed with a grassy aftertaste of fresh rain. The ground was less than muddy, but still gleaming with dew. And with careful navigation on the dry paths, Jun led Amari to a grand clearing, where flat, flowering shrubbery was gorgeously interwoven throughout the space and a stone long table sat, alongside the accompanying stone seats. Turquoise cloths and another decorative thin fabric down the center, cutting the table from end to end. Cushions matched the color scheme. Amari and Jun comfortably sat down within them, after greeting the King and a few of his esteemed aides.