3.17

"Then, do you believe in fate?"

The vampire and fox spirit walked at a pace more than unhurried but less than brisk. They chatted side by side. Tonight, for some reason, the moonlight fell particularly soft atop Elijah's features. His brows were relaxed, and shoulders straight, but void of their typical upright posture. Black hair fell slightly out of place from the passing breeze, but Elijah didn't notice.

Nor did he notice the slip of a handsome smile paint his pale lips, or the low chuckle Aisultan managed to steal out of him. Aisultan naturally stepped closer, leaning in to respond to him with a playful whisper, inciting another, bolder laughter–quiet, but crystal clear to the fox's ears. Amber looked over with an indulgent glint.

"Ah, here."

Elijah stopped. An oppressive pressure pulsed in waves, pressing against him like a slimy grasp tugging away his soul from his body. He paused, looking up at the pointed roof church. A metal dove embellished the door. As his hand hesitated, Aisultan leaned over, pushing the door open instead.

His eyes glanced over at the sliver of neck peeking through his robes. Hair tickled his cheek. Elijah coughed, "Thank you."

"It's nothing–are you alright? The holy presence is strongest here."

Elijah nodded, "It'll be but a few minutes of confirmation. We are on church grounds, but they cannot attack us unless witnessed as attacking first."

Elijah stepped in–the heavy sensation multiplying his sluggishness.

From the outside, the Saintess Church had a modest exterior: slightly worn-down stone walls and moss creeping up the sides. Inside, however, was much more spacious. Moonlight streamed through the colorful ceiling glass panes; light pinks, blues, and greens scattered across the circular wood pews. A marble statue was beholden in careful reverence–offerings placed generously on surrounding alters.

"Every town that has a church tends to be architecturally unique–I've never been in one this tall before!" Aisultan exclaimed, ears perking up.

"You go to pray in your free time?"

Aisultan's laugh echoed with resonance. "No, I just find it a point of interest in this region," he said, sitting down beside Elijah in the middlemost pew.

"Yes, well, not many demons–spirit, vampire, werewolf—have a tendency to do that."

"Is it that strange?" Aisultan turned to look at Elijah.

"Slightly, but I don't mind it."

Elijah smiled as he spoke, head angled up as he stared at the grand statue. The hues of pinks and yellows flittered around his face–his hair glowed with wispy particles around, lashes long and faintly moving with every breath.

"Maybe one day...you can take me to your favorite?"

Aisultan's response caught itself in his throat as if his breath was stolen away by the man beside him.

"Yes, I'd love to."

For a spell, there was silence.

Elijah broke it first.

"Do you believe there is a god? A one true, overseeing god?"

A white tail flicked back and forth. Aisultan too, looked up at the cloaked women made from marble.

"There are gods. Named ones that rule–the god of vampires and the god of werewolves. The god of arctic foxes... well, representative of her race–doesn't interact with us much. But God? Perhaps not. I would love to be proven wrong, though."

"Then do you believe in fate?"

The question slipped Elijah's lips in passing, absent of timidness. But after a prolonged silence, Elijah turned his head with a questioning gaze–only to meet bright amber staring back.

"Fate is real...and seems to have a lot in store for us."

Certainty carried Aisultan's voice through the empty church. Elijah felt as if there were a second sentence to follow, but, Aisultan did not expand upon his words, Emotions brewed in the back of the whirlpooling silvery amber.

"Wow, you sounded serious," Elijah said.

"Hm? Don't joke Elijah dear, I'm always serious—really now!"

Elijah put his hand to his mouth. His eyes crinkled and his shoulders shook. The low and clear laughter melted away Aisultan's exasperation; he thought it to be especially pleasant on the ears.

"I can agree with you on both fronts. God, I am not sure of. It matters little to me. And fate... I wouldn't be here without it. Aisultan?"

"Yes?"

"Your curiosities–I can sate them. I trust you," Elijah said, smiling. "There are many things I nor Eli know about you still. But we decided it will come in time–the answers. So until then, I can answer your inquiries."

"Thank you. And a query... well–just tell me about yourself."

Elijah blinked with confusion. "Me? Not Eli?"

"Why would I ask for Eli? He's told me many a topic regarding himself."

"That little... "

"Ah, not in your journals?"

Elijah shook his head with a helpless smile, "Really, even after I forbade him..."

Upon hearing the vampire's voice pick up, Aisultan's ears perked up in his direction.

"I am Eli, and Elijah is me. But before Eli was of age–it was just him. That is, until the Lupine-Vampire War began; his love for humans and extreme stress manifested in his blood's power–in me, his protector and fighter. I believe that day... was the day I slaughtered 64 werewolves and six vampires. The humans I killed in retaliation were... innumerable. Not too long after, I stopped killing humans. At least, after saving one human for the first time."

A fluffy tail slumped into his lap. Elijah petted it with care, searching for a trace of rejection in Aisultan's expression. His eyes were clear and without ill intent, only beckoning Elijah to continue.

"That child was so weak and pitiful. And somehow other humans were seeking him out. As if he were the monster that killed their people."

"You're not a monster," Aisultan said seriously.

Elijah laughed, "That's the conclusion you've come to? I feel no mercy, nor regret toward any of them. If I had to kill a human now though... I suppose the guilt would eat away at me. However, the sentiment is appreciated. I know what I am–and if you believe I'm no monster... then that's enough for me as well."

"I see."

Amber eyes gleamed. The tail resting on Elijah's lap trembled.

"Could I hear... more about you and the child?"

There was an emotion tinging his every word, coloring it in shades unrecognizable to Elijah.

"The child, he clutched at me, and I was at a loss–Eli took it from there. I didn't trust humans the way Eli naturally did. It wasn't in my nature. But, slowly, I acclimated, thanks to being around that child. It's been a long time... since I've reminisced. I recall pitying him–at every sound of violence was he alert and shaking. Eli was so worried about leaving him, he gave up his favorite metalwork to the child as a protective enchantment."

"Elijah, I–"

Aisultan froze. His eyes glowed with a cautious glint–his head whipped to the far front of the church, past the statue.

"Someone is here."